Illegal immigrants...

No shyt sherlock.
Of course anyone must meet all the criteria.
Do you know you're stating the obvious?
So he applied under the kind of conditions that apply to aliens from a third country. He did not apply as an EU citizen, nor as any of the cross-over conditions for anyone else from ex-EU country. He could have done that pre-referendum, or even post 1/1/21. His application and approval was not remotely connected with Brexit.
Therefore most of your friends experience was totally irrelevant to this thread.
For instance:
B@llox!
My friend is in France and sorted his permanent residence as soon as the referendum results were announced.
His application for citizenship was completely and totally unconnected to Brexit, and he must have applied under the same process for any alien from a third country.
Also:
Like in every other country in the world, France have a system to register foreigners as permanent residents.
Totally irrelevant to the topic under discussion. Your friend's experience could have applied to an application for citizenship in China.

This includes EU brothers.
Utter nonsense. The two applications and processes are entirely sperate, and for EU citizens, totally unnecessary.

My friend was never registered before the referendum results.
Then he went to the relevant office, showed paperwork to prove he'd been living in the country for a few years and they gave him permanent residence status.
He said it couldn't have been simpler.
Then he applied under the rules for aliens from a third country, the rules and processes were totally independent to any Brexit discussion. And it would not be simple. He would have to have proved that he met all the criteria. Even then, it would not be an automatic approval.

But I actually doubt if his application would have been processed, because a) the rules for ex-EU citizens were not finalised, and b) as a current EU citizen his application would not have been necessary.
I very much suspect that he would have been told to delay his application until the agreement had been finalised, because his application under those conditions might have either been unnecessary, or far less onerous.

Sponsored Links
According to Johnny's friend he could have simply gone to the relevant office, showed his paperwork, the process could not have been simpler. :rolleyes:

France has taken back control and is under no obligation to give Permanent Right To Remain to undesirables.

Sponsored Links
France has taken back control and is under no obligation to give Permanent Right To Remain to undesirables.
To be fair, UK also is under no obligation to give PRtoR to undesirables. They'll have to accommodate them in prison ships, or on islands somewhere, because they've cut ties with the countries that could have cooperated with UK, to take back illegal immigrants.

there's nothing more undesirable than a Brexer.

there's nothing more undesirable than a Brexer.
I disagree, a Breixteer who refuses to acknowledge the downsides of Brexit is more undesirable, or should that be less desirable.
No, I'll stick with more undesirable.

No.
He's a British citizen and only holds a british passport.
He applied as a eu national after the referendum.
I suggest you ask your friend to tell us what really happened, instead of you telling us what you think your fiend friend told you. (edit, sorry a Freudian slip?)

Until UK submitted the letter under Article 50 on 29/3/17, France would not have accepted or processed any applications for a Permanent Right to Remain for an EU citizen because none was required for EU citizens.
It was certainly possible to apply for French citizenship then, as it is now.
Prior to that France would not have accepted or processed a request , because it was totally unnecessary.
It did not become a requirement until 31/12/2020 when UK finally left the EU. Therefore until that point, France would still not consider processing the application, as was seen with the system being withdrawn in 2019, when the process of UK leaving was postponed (several times).
It was not until the agreement on citizens rights was finalised in late 2020. that the process could begin to operate. As we have seen, France did not finally begin to receive applications until about September 2020 that your friend could have applied as an EU citizen.
He may have applied under the withdrawn system in 2019, but his application would not have been processed until late 2020.

Any brit expat who has not sorted out their residence status is a mug and deserves to be deported.
They had over 4 years and they didn't apply for a simple id card/ residence card which would've been their key to remain wherever they were living.

Its not so simple as just filling in a ID Card /residence card ,

One has to prove that a Ex Pat single person is earning more than £20.000 per year , and is self sufficient, a couple the rate is higher , the Ex Pats are mainly retired persons living on a pension, living cheaply on the Costas,

many people on a pension find it cheaper to shut up their home November live in an Hotel ( special Winter Rates for Pensioners , rent a small apartment, or family apartment ) and return March Time, their needs are negligible and cost effective .
These are going to be the Ex Pat Illegal Immigrants .

A lot of these brexxers were living cash in hand so even if they applied they would not get settled status.

The whole point of Brexit for them was to screw people who were not them and then they realised too late it would screw them as well.

Its not so simple as just filling in a ID Card /residence card ,

One has to prove that a Ex Pat single person is earning more than £20.000 per year , and is self sufficient, a couple the rate is higher , the Ex Pats are mainly retired persons living on a pension, living cheaply on the Costas,

many people on a pension find it cheaper to shut up their home November live in an Hotel ( special Winter Rates for Pensioners , rent a small apartment, or family apartment ) and return March Time, their needs are negligible and cost effective .
These are going to be the Ex Pat Illegal Immigrants .
Prior to Brexit proper 31/12/20 part-time ex-pats could have applied for permanent right to remain. It was a simple process of filling in an online form.
I'm pretty sure it can still be applied for, up to about June 2021.
All that was needed was proof that you were living in EU prior to the cut-off date. I can't remember now if just household bills would have sufficed. I had medical and tax registration also, so it was no problem for me.
Service providers, e.g. Water and Electric suppliers, made an effort to make it easy to apply for a 'contract agreement' in the householders' name.

Edit, I just checked, the requirements for those living less that 5 years are more stringent than for those living more than 5 years.
For those living more than 5 years, just household bills would suffice.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-france#visas-and-residency

Our neighbours (French and retired) live in their caravan on the coast all summer, so do some friends (ex-pats and retired) who do the same, but in Spain.

Last edited:
A lot of these brexxers were living cash in hand so even if they applied they would not get settled status.

The whole point of Brexit for them was to screw people who were not them and then they realised too late it would screw them as well.

A bit like you Screwing your tenants, making a living out of people's misfortune and misery.

Sponsored Links
Back