Illegal installation

Sponsored Links
Bloody hell talk about mountains and mole hills, what was or wasn't "illegally" installed is not really important what is is that the installation is safe for use and compliant, ...
Exactly.
What you need is an EICR to find out if the installation is actually safe or not
At some stage, yes. However, the price of a complete re-wire is so relatively small compared with the price of a house that I personally would probably not let the state of an electrical installation put me off buying a house that I was otherwise very keen on buying - so I might not rush to get the electrical installation inspected prior to the purchase. It is IMO only worthwhile getting a pre-purchase EICR done if one's intention is to pull out of the purchase (and lose one's EICR, and probably other, costs) if the report is unsatisfactory and the vendor is not prepared to reduce the price.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks - but, unfortunately, that's not the right one.
As I've said, I suspect his fear is that he might inherit some legal responsibilities if notifiable work had not been notified in the past.
We did have a nutcase here last year who believed, or claimed to believe, just that.
Yes, I realise that - although I don't think it was a nutcase; it seemed to be someone who has misunderstood/misinterpreted what his solicitor had said to him. However, when I wrote
...maybe you can find the thread in question?
...I was referring to the thread about the alleged 'actual case' that I had been discussing, and I thought the link you posted was in response to that.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Are you able to scan and post your schedule of test results?
yes I will, I will dig them out later
Has one of BAS's 'question which is a bit more than a question' perhaps backfired, I wonder? :)

Indeed, given that BAS is seemingly very keen on scrupulous attention to the precise wording of things, Ahtyrrell should perhaps really have just answered BAS's question with 'Yes', and left it at that!

Kind Regards, John

I meant that the chap had installed the electrical system around 30 years ago but then upgraded is with new lighting circuits a couple of years ago.
And what makes you think this was done illegally?

Thanks for all the sensible and useful comments.

In discussions he mentioned that he had installed a new circuit in the utility room. We are not as far as searches and Home information Forms yet.

It looks like a negotiation point rather than something to be worried about.

Theo

Thanks for all the sensible and useful comments. ... In discussions he mentioned that he had installed a new circuit in the utility room. We are not as far as searches and Home information Forms yet. ... It looks like a negotiation point rather than something to be worried about.
Indeed. However, be prepared for the fact that it might not be a very strong negotiation point. If he is confident that the work was done satisfactorily (even if he failed to 'notify' it when he should have), there is no particularly obvious reason why he should regard it as a justification for a reduction in price. You could try arguing that you'd like to have the installation inspected (i.e. an EICR) to reassure you, and attempt to get him to pay for that, but if he's even half astute he will point out that, if you are sensible, you ought to be getting (and paying for) an EICR, anyway, even if he had never done this work!

Whatever, I certainly don't think there is any reason to 'worry'.

Kind Regards, John

In discussions he mentioned that he had installed a new circuit in the utility room.
If a new circuit was installed a couple of years ago by the home owner, then this work should have been notified to building controls and there should be relevant documents relating to this installation (EIC/Electrical Installation Certificate and building regulation compliance).
If the circuit was extended from another, this would be a different matter as it could well be that notification was not required, but a certificate for minor works should have been completed.
As you have stated the original installation could date back 30 years, so my concerns would be if the person installing/extending the circuit added 30mA RCD protection to buried cables (less than 50mm within walls) and new socket outlets, as that would be required if not already existing on the circuit/circuits.
There would also be concerns regarding the use of the permitted cable routes.

We are not as far as searches and Home information Forms yet.

It looks like a negotiation point rather than something to be worried about.

Very much a negotiation point, as if you where worried, I would suggest withdrawing your interest in the property.
So ask for a copy of any documents relating to the electrical installation. If these are not available then request a EICR is made by the vendor.

If the installation is old, if there is an old wired CU rather than electronic one then I would be all for negotiating a reduction of about £3k in order to get the whole house rewired. Whether the whole house needs it or not.

The OP is in the best position - the one that is buying, the vendor will be expected to make reductions for work that needs doing.

I.E. if the roof needed reroofing because the tiles are loose etc then ths cost of that gets knocked off.

Then its upto the purchaser if they get it done.

Whatever the legality of it.

Waste of time and money. Unless the guy got it drastically wrong, like re-wiring the house with bits of old bell wire and a knocked-off old Wylex Standard, then I doubt any work required on the house, even including the EICR, would amount to over £500.

If it did, and people were able to discount the property by thousands, then people would be expecting EICR's on every purchase of a house. But the fact is 99.9% of houses are in the OK category and so most buyers take that risk. If you want one then by all means pay for one.

As for notification, if I were a seller and you came to me asking for money off because I hadn't notified a circuit then I'd tell you where to go. If you insisted on a certificate from the paper-pushers at the council then I'd probably, begrudgingly, pay up and give it to you.

But the fact is 99.9% of houses are in the OK category and so most buyers take that risk. If you want one then by all means pay for one.
Most of the domestic dwellings with installation of this age and with additional DIY work, that I EICR/PIR, generaly come up with a number of code 2s. I personally think that anyone purchasing a property, should be aware of condition of any services to and within the property.

Waste of time and money. ... If it did, and people were able to discount the property by thousands, then people would be expecting EICR's on every purchase of a house. But the fact is 99.9% of houses are in the OK category and so most buyers take that risk. If you want one then by all means pay for one.
Exactly.
As for notification, if I were a seller and you came to me asking for money off because I hadn't notified a circuit then I'd tell you where to go.
As I've said, same here.
If you insisted on a certificate from the paper-pushers at the council then I'd probably, begrudgingly, pay up and give it to you.
Do you mean that you would try to get the work certified retrospectively? I certainly wouldn't, but would refer you to my response to your previous comment above!

Kind Regards, John

I personally think that anyone purchasing a property, should be aware of condition of any services to and within the property.
I can't disagree that this would be the ideal. But you'd be looking at a lot of work and it would need to go into the homebuyer's report. Also, many services are exterior and underground, and are beyond the reach of the inspector's torch.

Or next time you sell, may I make an offer on the basis that you dig up your drive so I can ensure the correct depth, materials, bedding and warning tape have been applied to your water, electricity and waste pipes?

OK so maybe you can leave that question unanswered, but the truth is sadly many homes with Cat 2's will not get these fixed even if it came up on a homebuyers. It'll just become a bargaining tool and as long as the electrons are still flowing the new owners will be happy. There will also be no requirement to bring it up to scratch.

If the OP came on and said "I'm worried about the safety of the installation" then fair enough, but it's just a legality thing he's asking advice on.

John, I would get the certificate done retrospectively if it meant an easier sale; it doesn't usually cost that much extra. I had to do it for a new downstairs toilet recently after that 'final inspection' where the supervisor came along and asked who did the electrics. I hated parting with £62.50 (after 50% discount) for no further visits and a completion certificate, but it was that or not get the whole thing signed off.

If the OP came on and said "I'm worried about the safety of the installation" then fair enough, but it's just a legality thing he's asking advice on.
Which is true and the OP has now been fully versed in what actions that can be taken to find out if anything illegally has been done, with regards to additional electrical work.
Safety has become a by-product of the question, as legally things should be safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back