I'm not sure I can trust my electrician, what should I do?

A common mis-conception, A six amp MCB will allow over a kilowatt of heat to be generated at a hot spot, such as a failing joint.
That is true.

However afaict we do not routinely inspect joints anyway. Even a PIR usually only checks a sample. One problem is that re-tightening joints can sometimes cause more problems than it solves

I really don't see much difference safety wise between a joint that is not accessible for inspection and a joint that is accessible for inspection but never happens to get inspected.

Fortunately modern plastics are treated with flame retardants such that while they will char they don't tend to catch light when joints burn out.

Sponsored Links
I'm personally thinking that, at a future date, a switch blows / SWMBO'd wants more d/lights and you call someone else in, they'll be mortified! You need to get it right now.

Previous wiring before 17th Ed supp 1 doesn't have to meet those specs.

Anything that is worked on / added to/ amended, does. NOW!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back