Indirect water cylinder not heating water properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having an issue where the water from our water cylinder comes out lukewarm, maybe even colder than that to be honest. From what I've seen online, I think the water cylinder is an indirect unvented one and has always been powered by our boiler.

The water cylinder is in the airing cupboard on the 1st floor and the boiler is on the ground floor. When the boiler comes on to heat up the water, it only comes out lukewarm. Not even warm enough for a shower. If we use the immersion heater, the water comes out much hotter, but still not as hot as what it used to be. The radiators which are also powered by the boiler and seem to work fine, there doesn't appear to be any issues with them.

Just for context, I recently went away for a couple of weeks. Before I left, I was told to turn the stop cock off. I can't say it's something I've ever done before, but there was no issue with the water before I did this.

I've added some photos of the water cylinder and the pipes next to it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20231128_134429.jpg
    20231128_134429.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20231128_134437.jpg
    20231128_134437.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 20231128_134448.jpg
    20231128_134448.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20231128_173334.jpg
    20231128_173334.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
I take it heating system is properly pressurised?
Have you made sure no air in heating cylinder feeds?
Loosen small brass caps on pipework on top of cylinder to check.
Other than that make sure motorised valve to cylinder is open
That's the silver one manual lever should feel loose when open.

Hi Exedon, this is probably going to sound stupid, but how would I know if the the heating system is properly pressurised? I can't see any pressure gauges on the cylinder or the boiler, unless they're tucked away/hidden somewhere.

I've given the cylinder feeds a go. The left one had the smallest amount of air come out of it, and the right one had water coming out of it straight away. Not sure if the left one will solve the issue - fingers crossed.

I've tried the motorised valve you said about too. It was set to the auto setting, but i've now slid it across to open - albeit it only goes halfway. It moved easily to the halfway point and then i got resistance. I didn't want to put too much force into pushing it all the way to open in case i broke it. I'll try to get a photo to show you what i mean.

If your system is an open system you will have a header tank in the loft, Check that this has water in it.

Sponsored Links
Exedon - stupidly i tried the motorised valve when the boiler wasn't on. Now it's on, the lever slides between auto and open easily.

Oilhead - i've just checked, there is. It's a bit grotty though, not sure if that'll make a difference.

Attachments

• 20231128_175802.jpg
    20231128_175802.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 41
Exedon - your suggestion worked. It was beautiful to have hot water this morning

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back