Inline connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A recent exchange
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/repairing-lawnmover-cable.434565/page-2#post-4226049
reminded me of a question.

I mentioned to a friend that I had mended an outdoor lead with an inline connection like this, and he said he had been told these were no longer available as they did not meet the latest standards.

I had a look online and found these being sold by numerous reputable (i.e. not Ebay) suppliers, so clearly the information he was given was wrong. My friend can't remember who told him as it was a while ago.

Does anyone have any idea if there has been any issue with these connectors and so what the source of this misinformation may have been referring to?

Sponsored Links
I mentioned to a friend that I had mended an outdoor lead with an inline connection like this, and he said he had been told these were no longer available as they did not meet the latest standards.
He is wrong on both counts.

I had a look online and found these being sold by numerous reputable (i.e. not Ebay) suppliers
As you discovered.

My friend can't remember who told him as it was a while ago.
Then both of you should forget being told it.

Does anyone have any idea if there has been any issue with these connectors
Never heard of any.

and so what the source of this misinformation may have been referring to?
A dozy tw@?

He is wrong on both counts.

As you discovered.

Then both of you should forget being told it.

Never heard of any.

A dozy tw@?

Before jumping to uneducated conclusions, lets go back to the original versions of these connectors which had absolutely no form of strain relief...

Before jumping to uneducated conclusions, lets go back to the original versions of these connectors which had absolutely no form of strain relief...
I seem to recall they had like 2 pieces of a fibre material and 2 screws that fitted loose in each half to clamp the cable, that was in the early 80's

Sponsored Links
The modern versions of the connectors look like this inside:

connectors.jpg

with the part with pins having extra moulded pieces on either side which fit into a matching groove in the outer shell.
That one can only be fitted into the part marked 'connect to appliance', as the 'connect to mains' outer shell doesn't have the groove inside.

I seem to recall they had like 2 pieces of a fibre material and 2 screws that fitted loose in each half to clamp the cable, that was in the early 80's
Indeed. In fact, I think that nearly all strain relief in electrical items was of that nature back then -= e.g. in most BS1363 plugs etc.

Kind Regards, John

The modern versions of the connectors look like this inside:

View attachment 149364

with the part with pins having extra moulded pieces on either side which fit into a matching groove in the outer shell.
That one can only be fitted into the part marked 'connect to appliance', as the 'connect to mains' outer shell doesn't have the groove inside.
Ah that's a result, the item I found a problem with recently had no such groove.

I haven't been able to find a pic of the version I used to use late sixties/seventies and probably into the eighties.
upload_2018-9-30_0-25-53.png

The plug consisted of a black moulding which contained the brass pins which were held in place by the wire clamping screw through the side and were mobile. The cover was a rubber sleeve (shown in orange) which stopped short of the moulding by about about 10mm, the cable end of the cover had no space for the mentioned fibre clamp.
The Socket used a similar moulding which contained the brass sockets and the rubber cover extended such that when mated the covers were in contact with each other.
The cover was held in place with a bolt through the 'centre' hole and a nut.
I used to have loads of the 3 pin version for disco lights etc as they were cheap and smaller than other connectors. I used black covers for mains and white for low voltage (or vice versa), got rid a lot of years back as the wiring failed on a regular basis due to very poor design.

They sound like "Duraplug ones", i will look in the garage i may still have some

images
41COxUo4GzL._SX450_.jpg

They sound like "Duraplug ones", i will look in the garage i may still have some

IIRC they didn't have a square rear end (cable end) to the cover like your pictures. I may still have some in an old box of crap that I seem to hang on to for some weird reason but it's deeply buried under other junk.

I may still have some in an old box of crap that I seem to hang on to for some weird reason.
For heavens sake don't say that!

That's the crack of doubt into which Mrs Sunray can jemmy the crowbar of disposal!

It's a box of things which might come in useful one day, it is essential that you remember and stick to that.

As we are discussing the ones currently on sale, the point of that would be what?

As we are discussing the ones currently on sale, the point of that would be what?
The point is: Banned or no longer manufactured I know not which but I feel the early versions of these connectors would not conform to any current safety standards and are therefore no longer available.

It may be those which his friend is referring to and is not aware that improved versions are indeed manufactured and legitimately on sale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back