Inspection hatch for flue in void - building warranty issue?

Unsure as to when it officially came in.
I contact gas safe in the morning.

The builders I have worked for have post dated remedial flue inspection plates back to 2007. It is a serious issue. I have had to rectify new builds dating back 18 months with poorly installed flues.

Builders answer was
No problem whatever is needed get the work done. I have never had to debate the timescale regarding when the regulation cam in

Sponsored Links
Just had the gas engineers round and he said the flues were (shockingly) not properly installed. There's water collecting in the flues as they were installed flat rather than at an angle. He also said that the inspection hatches are indeed inadequate to properly inspect the entire length of the flue.

The builders are still refusing to take responsibility for the inspection hatches and want a copy of the report before they'll do anything about the incorrectly installed flues. I've contacted NHBC about the hatches as the the link plumbplumb posted says it is their responsibility. They also want a copy of the report.

Is there anything more I can do? Do I just send the report and wait for them to get back to me?

Looks like a case of sit tight and wait it out.

Or for peace of mind, get the gas engineer back to carry out remedial work and get your system to satisfactory condition.

This may be the better option in the long run as the builders may drag their feet.

Did the gas engineer issue any warning notices?

Sponsored Links
Phone the gas safe register and ask them if they can come and inspect the installation as it is still quite new. They can then contact the person who signed off the install who will be held responsible and possibly a RIDDOR issued

Your flue is wrong as installed regardless of the access issue, in that there is insufficient rise on it. The installer is responsible for all those errors. The builder must get this fixed.

I went thru this recently with a customer very similar situation The house builders argued that at the point of design and spec it was allowed and on completion was signed of by building control.
In the end my customer gave up and paid me to install the hatches and inspect the flue (there were no defects)

I think you will probably end up in the same situation

My customer did consider legal action against them but quickly realised it was cheaper and easier to just have the work done

Finally got a update.

I contacted both NHBC and the builders about the issue and passed on the report by the British Gas engineer.

The builders again denied that the inspection hatches was their responsibility but NHBC agreed with me that they are responsible for the flue fall and the inspection hatches. they wrote them a letter about 2 or 3 weeks ago and the builders have finally agreed to send someone around to fix the fall and also the inspection hatches.

I have to say that NHBC have been extremely good dealing with this, they gave me fast responses and even called me a few times to keep me updated and see if the builders have been in contact with me yet. Very impressed!

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice!!

The alarming issue here is that the flues were incorrectly installed and then boxed in. That is precisely why the legislation is in place.

The person who commissioned this job is responsible for the duff flue installation. He has a lot to answer for.

The alarming issue here is that the flues were incorrectly installed and then boxed in. That is precisely why the legislation is in place.

The person who commissioned this job is responsible for the duff flue installation. He has a lot to answer for.

speaking to our neighbour and it seems like a common issues for a lot of the flats here. I agree, how did these installations ever get signed off by the NHBC?

speaking to our neighbour and it seems like a common issues for a lot of the flats here. I agree, how did these installations ever get signed off by the NHBC?

From experience, TB008 is going to cause a lot of ball ache especially in London where daft architects design buildings then just plop the boiler in the middle of the building because all the other services are rising there.

The NHBC seems to be an insurance scheme to cover defects after two years during which the builder is responsible for dealing with any problems.

Builders always like to cut corners and try to get out of their responsibilities.

I know of at least one block with severe problems ( apart from Keston boilers ) and thats several years into the 10 NHBC.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back