Installing a gas fire - what components am I missing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi-

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I recently bought a new house. The owners left us a "gas fire that just needs to be fitted". I will leave the actual installation to a professional, but I want to know what else I need to get (and where I might get it from).

There should be an image below: basically, I seem to have the base of a fire, with a place for the gas to go in, and a dial for switching the fire on and off and adjusting the flame.

What we want is a basic, simple gas fire, coal or wood effect - the bare minimum really. So what I need to know is -
what is the name of the part that I have?
what other parts do I need before I can ask someone on the gas safe register to install it for me?
where would I get those parts (and are they expensive?)

Many thanks indeed.

Sponsored Links
Leave it where it is. It'll be a lot safer there, until you get a RGI to sort it for you. So much has to be checked before installation.

Leave it where it is. It'll be a lot safer there, until you get a RGI to sort it for you. So much has to be checked before installation.

Thanks - good advice, though this part was never installed. It was sitting in a cupboard.

What I want to be able to do is have all the parts I need in the house, then ask an RGI to come out and carry out all the checks and install the fire. At the moment I am obviously missing some bits and bobs.

Maybe that's not possible, and I should just get a plumber out to look at what I have, first?

Maybe that's not possible, and I should just get a plumber out to look at what I have, first?
Nope, not any old plumber, a registered gas installer.

But I have to say that you appear to have a lot missing, so it might be more cost effective to start afresh. Do ask an installer for advice before parting with your hard-earned cash though, as you could end up buying something unsuitable.

You also have to ask yourself why the previous occupants left it un-installed, there might be a bit more to the story that you're not aware of ;)

Sponsored Links
Nope, not any old plumber, a registered gas installer.

But I have to say that you appear to have a lot missing, so it might be more cost effective to start afresh. Do ask an installer for advice before parting with your hard-earned cash though, as you could end up buying something unsuitable.

You also have to ask yourself why the previous occupants left it un-installed, there might be a bit more to the story that you're not aware of ;)

Good point on why the last owners didn't bother! They said they never got round to it, but who knows...

I take your point on starting again. I was beginning to think that way myself.

I have an RGI coming round to service the boiler soon. I will get his advice.

Thanks!

A friend has just pointed out to me that I have the part upside down!

He thinks that once installed by a RGI all I need in addition to what I already have is some fake coals/logs etc, and it should be fine, but he is not an expert! Any thoughts on whether anything else is needed?

Thanks again.

Before you get your credit card out and start buyning things, it would be worthwhile checking your chimney out. It might be fine, or might need lining or some other reparation work which may push the price up quite considerably. Get someone round to inspect the job and the fitting - since they will be signing it off you would be wise to liaise with them beforehand,

Before you get your credit card out and start buyning things, it would be worthwhile checking your chimney out. It might be fine, or might need lining or some other reparation work which may push the price up quite considerably. Get someone round to inspect the job and the fitting - since they will be signing it off you would be wise to liaise with them beforehand,

Thanks. I think I will do that. And thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.

nwrmartin";p="2160069 said:
A friend has just pointed out to me that I have the part upside down!

He thinks that once installed by a RGI all I need in addition to what I already have is some fake coals/logs etc, and it should be fine, but he is not an expert! Any thoughts on whether anything else is needed?
nwrmartin";p="2160069 said:
What you have is a magiglo inset tray gas fire, with at least the coal set missing. You cannot just fit coals or logs randomly, you need the instruction book for the right parts and layout.
Your friend is wrong - in that you need the coals at the same time as an RGI, as he needs to test the fire in it's full working order.
Don't buy anything untiol you have spoken to an RGI, you may just be wasting cash.

More preferable to an RGI, though, would be a skip. These fires are totally inefficient compared to a a proper radiant or convector gas fire, and although we run a gas showroom, we rarely sell them, and only after telling custromers that they shouldn't buy one!

Magiglo went bust a couple of years ago, and were bought out by Burley of Oakham. If you telephoned with model and serial number, they would tell you if parts are avialable. 01572 756956.

No. Not a wind up. I'm grateful for the advice I've been given, esp about the lack of quality of the fire that I have. I have gone from knowing nothing about gas fires to at least understanding what I have, and what my next steps should be. Which is exactly the kind of help these forums provide.

Perhaps you are beginning to see that what you have is an incomplete gas fire mechanism with the coals missing!

Perhaps they bought it from Ebay for £10 and thought that it would make a greater increase to the price of then house?

Now hopefully you can see that its not a simple job to fit it. First its necessary to see if the coals are even still available now that the maker sold up or went into administration.

But before any gas fire can be installed, the fireplace dimensions need to be checked and the flue tested. It cannot be assumed that any old fireplace will be suitable!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back