Installing a printer

S

Shutpa

Trying to get a Lexmark printer installed in my new Vista system but the message "cant communicate with your printer" keeps appearing. Somewhere during the download of the driver, I was given the code 'C:\Drivers\printer\X1100' to type in at the end. The problem is that I cant find anywhere to type it, since there is no window pops up asking for the code. Any clues?
The message also says to dismantle my firewall. Iwould if I knew where it was and there were clear instructions on how to go about it. Over to the experts!

Sponsored Links
is it an old printer or a brand new one (with installation disk)?

Old,without. Have tried downloading the driver from Lexmark but don't know if that was successful eg I never got a prompt to reconnect the printer usb cable.

hi there, reconnect it, then go to printer/properties,then click on update driver then just follow the wizard

Sponsored Links
Hi drewroof, I dont even know how to find the printer or the operating system which is also needed.

drewroof said:
hi there, reconnect it, then go to printer/properties,then click on update driver then just follow the wizard

Come on guys, I really do nead your help. I honestly haven't a clue how to go to printer/ properties or how to find the operating system. I have been trying to get this printer up and running for about 6 hours but unless you have the know-how, it is next door to impossible. Perhaps if Dell had supplied me with an instruction book, I might have found my way around the thing a whole lot easier.

Cheers Softus, very informative. I have downloaded the correct driver from Lexmark, but when I try to print I'm told that there is no communication with my printer. Having said that, I can scan an image but not print it,so there is some sort of connection between the computer and the printer.

Cheers Empip. Clearly it is not what you know that is important, but that you know where to find the information

Getting there! It is suggested that "If I am using a USB connection, I should try a parallel connection as well". Don't know what this is. Also, Lexmark want to know "which chipset (Intel, Via, SIS etc)" I am using. Again I haven't a clue.

There is, I am pleased to say, nothing wrong with the printer since the self test prints out the test bars. It is still a communication problem. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

parallel connection means not using USB, you know, the other big socket you (should) have on the back of your pc

Thanks Breezer. Does it resemble the socket which plugs into an external modem and if so, how would this solve the problem since the lead from the printer has a USB plug on it. Would I need some sort of adaptor?

i bet you are thinking of the coms port, no its the other one, really big, and you need a differnt lead.

since lexmark said try paralell connection, i assume your printer has another socket? (apart from thee USB one)

it looks like a printer cable!

e474_2.JPG

c81d_2.JPG

pretty well obsolete now

you can get one with a printer plug on one end and a USB on the other.j

Sponsored Links
Back