Installing a printer

drewroof said:
hi there, reconnect it, then go to printer/properties,then click on update driver then just follow the wizard

I'd still like to try drewroof's 'printer/properties. Would this be in 'All Programmes'?

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
it looks like a printer cable!

e474_2.JPG

c81d_2.JPG

pretty well obsolete now

you can get one with a printer plug on one end and a USB on the other.j

My printer cable plug is an upight rectangular one about 10mm high with the top corners cut off. The other end is a USB plug. There are no other connection sockets on the printer. Could that be the last one you mentioned JohnD?

your printer may have USB connections only :( if fairly new. it sounds like it.

Old ones had just the Printer cable. older scanners used to use the same.

My current laser printer is about 6 months old and has one socket of each kind (but I use it on USB)

p.s. I use XP not Vista so don't know how you should do the install. On XP it will be inside Control Panel, System
then either
Printers and Faxes
or
Hardware, Device Manager

sometimes helps to unplug the printer; uninstall it via Control Panel; restart the PC; plug the printer back in, and watch it reinstall itself.

Got there JohnD but there was no uninstall choice, only delete. this isn't the same thing, is it?

Sponsored Links
yes

Delete is in "printers and faxes"

Uninstall is in device manager

USB things might not be in device manage (I'm not clear about that)

"Add Hardware" is also in control panel, but you only need that if Auto Detect doesn't work.

Hee hee!

I reckon the worst that can happen is that your printer will stop working... but it doesn't now, does it?

also see my edit on previous post

p.s. during the re-install, it might ask you if you know where the driver is, so you can navigate to that address you mentioned earlier. It wil usually automatically find the best one.

drewroof said:
hi there, reconnect it, then go to printer/properties,then click on update driver then just follow the wizard
Found printer/properties at last, but no sign of update driver.

JohnD said:
Hee hee!

p.s. during the re-install, it might ask you if you know where the driver is, so you can navigate to that address you mentioned earlier. It wil usually automatically find the best one.

Did I mention an address? And how on earth do I 'navigate'? I'm an absolute beginner JohnD!

bolo said:
I was given the code 'C:\Drivers\printer\X1100' to type in at the end.

That's an address

where presumably the driver was stored

"C:" is your hard drive
"Drivers" is a directory (or folder) within it
"printer" is a directory within that
"X1100" is a file in that directory

By "navigate" I mean, the install wizard will say something like "have you got a driver and where is it" and offer you a place to put the address, such as "C:"

In the place where it wants the address, you can either type it, or, by "navigate" i mean you click on "C:" and it shows you all the directories and files that C contains. Then you click on the "Drivers" directory and it shows you what that contains. Then you click on the "Printers" directory and it shows you what that contains. then you click on the file you want, and it puts that address into the field in the install wizard.

Windows explorer works the same way.

So do mail logs in OE

Do you see what I mean?

You can try the method out.
At the top left of this screen, In Internet Explorer, click on "File" then "Save As" and it will probably show you all of "my documents". If you click on one of the folders, it will show you what's in that folder (or directory) and you can keep going down and dow until you arrive where you want. then you click on "Save" and it will put a copy of the page there. you can save pictures or jokes in the same way, you right-click on a picture and then take "save as"

Crystal clear JohnD. I'll have a bash after tea and then back to installing the printer!

Found printer/properties and in the window there is a location box. Would this be I put where I put the 'address' or am I off on the wrong track yet again.

If you go to the start button, select control panel and printers/faxes you should get a screen up with the icon for your printer. If you right click it and select properties, ports tab, is USB ticked?

Spark123 said:
If you go to the start button, select control panel and printers/faxes you should get a screen up with the icon for your printer. If you right click it and select properties, ports tab, is USB ticked?

I get 'Explore' or 'Create Shortcut'. Found it. USB is ticked.

At which point do you get the Explore or Create shortcut? When you right click the icon?
I take it you are at this screen?
printer.jpg

Are you getting ready next to the printer icon?

Sponsored Links
Back