Installing a printer

Spark123 said:
Can you just try and print something?

It is probably a good time to create a system restore point in case the below instruction doesn't work: click on the start button, all programs, maintenance, backup and restore centre. On the left hand side select system restore. Click create and enter a name. Click OK when it is complete and close the restore windows.

Just in case it doesn't work and something happens to the system, I take it that I will still have access to the restore backup . If you would be good enough to outline the procedure, I would be eternally grateful.

Sponsored Links
[url=http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:405:0:0&emeaframe=&fileID=10676&searchLang=en&os_group=Windows%20Vista]Click 4 Lex[/url] said:
Attention Windows Vista Users
If you have installed your printer on your PC using an original Lexmark Driver CD that came with your product and you are experiencing problems when printing, you may have installed the Windows XP driver.

Follow these steps to resolve:
· Disconnect your USB cable from your printer.
· Uninstall all Lexmark printer drivers on your PC.
· Download the correct Vista driver for your model.
· Install the driver on your PC.

Important - Do not reconnect the USB cable until the install software prompts the question of how the printer is connected...
==========================================
cjrX1100EN.exe: Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista.

Release NotesAttention: To prevent issues during the installation, please uninstall all previous versions of this driver prior to installing this web package.

File InformationFile Name: cjrX1100EN.exe

Version: 1.0.10.1

Released On: 09-FEB-07

File Size: 35632 KB

Products: Lexmark X1110, Lexmark X1130, Lexmark X1140, Lexmark X1150, Lexmark X1155, Lexmark X1160, Lexmark X1170, Lexmark X1180, Lexmark X1185, Lexmark X1190, Lexmark X1195

Languages: English

Operating Systems: Windows Vista

Application: n/a

Owner Name: Lexmark

Data Stream: Lexmark Host Based Solution, Lexmark Scan and Copy Control

Security: Public

Install Instructions:
Instrucions field was blank.

The nearest printer mentioned is X1110 - You have X1100 ??? You may be lucky.

Windows Help - How-to Add or remove a printer Click for M$

You may be lucky -- see this :- It prints okay

-0o0-

Spark123 said:
Unplug the USB lead from the printer and reboot the system. Click on the start button, all programs, accessories, run. Type in C:\Drivers\printer\X1100 and hopefully this will install the driver for you.

Tried this and disaster struck! Don't know what happened but no longer have access to All Programmes on my new computer and so its back to the old one. The only saving grace is that the printer (X1150) works with this one. However, always the optimist, I am sure that someone out there has the answer to my latest problem - and please don't say give up. I also had no access to the internet and some icons, but I'm not sure which, have dissappeared from the bottom of the screen( not on this computer but on the other one). So over to you guys or would I be better calling in a local computer firm?

bolo, could you attempt to avoid treading the path of so many difficult-to-help posters?

You can do this by never describing things in terms of what you "can't do", or what the computer "prevents" you doing. The perfect description would be:

1. The action you take.
2. The response that you expect the computer to give.
3. The response that the computer actually gives.

This will lead to the answer you need in the shortest possible time and number of posts.

So, for example, when you say that you "no longer have access to All Programmes", that could mean many different things with many more possible causes. Could you describe this problem in the above terms?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1 Click 'Start'.

2 Click 'All Programmes@

3 There are no progammes!

Do you get a menu that is blank, or do you get no menu, or what?

Softus said:
Do you get a menu that is blank, or do you get no menu, or what?

Above 'All Programmes' (after it is clicked),Nothing! On bottom tool bar (?), only the time.

bolo said:
Above 'All Programmes' (after it is clicked),Nothing! On bottom tool bar (?), only the time.
I don't the answer to this yet, so, wishing to be irritating, I have to repeat the question.

When you click on 'All Programmes', do you get a menu that is blank?

If not, do you get no menu at all?

I can't think of a third alternative, but let me know if there is one.

Softus said:
bolo said:
I don't the answer to this yet, so, wishing to be irritating, I have to repeat the question.

When you click on 'All Programmes', do you get a menu that is blank?

If not, do you get no menu at all?

I can't think of a third alternative, but let me know if there is one.

Providing that you don't swear at me Softus, you can be as irritating as you like.
Bearing in mind that elsewhere on this site I have admitted to being a complete troll as far as practical things, particularly computers, are concerned, how do I,after clicking on 'All Programmes', tell the difference between a menu that is blank and no menu at all? I can imagine subscribers all over the country killing themselves with laughter at my computer illiteracy.

Click Start, control panel, system, system protection (top LHS), continue, System protection tab, system restore. Follow the on screen prompts to restore your PC to before you tried to install the driver.

My previous post was supposed to say:

"I don't know the answer to this yet, so, without wishing to be irritating..."

Clearly it's getting late and I should stop before I completely lose the ability to type, but for now, when I say "blank menu" I mean 'do you get the usual menu, but with nothing showing on it?'.

Softus said:
My previous post was supposed to say:

"I don't know the answer to this yet, so, without wishing to be irritating..."

Clearly it's getting late and I should stop before I completely lose the ability to type, but for now, when I say "blank menu" I mean 'do you get the usual menu, but with nothing showing on it?'.
When I click start on this computer I get about a dozen things above 'All Programmes' most of them Windows. Click on All Programmes and this reveals dozens of folders(?). On the other computer clicking on All Programmes reveals nothing apart from a white background. Just going to have a go at that other postings recommendation.

Spark123 said:
Click Start, control panel, system, system protection (top LHS), continue, System protection tab, system restore. Follow the on screen prompts to restore your PC to before you tried to install the driver.

Sorry spark123,for referring to you as 'that other posting'. Am now going to follow your instructions to the letter in the hope that all will be well again with our new computer. Perhaps I went wrong somewhere last night

Sparky123, you're just a genius and if I was Softus I would probably use the perfect adjective to that description. I think that everything is back to normal so hopefully I'll be out of the doghouse! Cheers and thank you very, very much.
ps.the spell checker doesn't work.
ps. It does now.

I take it your printer still doesn't work though?
I'm thinking as suggested above you should maybe try removing the other printer driver before you install the new one. Out of interest, do you have a restore point before you installed the printer driver the first time?
Which version of Vista do you have? Basic, Home Premium, Business or Ultimate? Is it 32bit/64bit?
I take it you downloaded the driver from here?: http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=227:5:0:405:0:0

Sponsored Links
Back