1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing a printer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shutpa, 20 Sep 2007.

1. Just in case it doesn't work and something happens to the system, I take it that I will still have access to the restore backup . If you would be good enough to outline the procedure, I would be eternally grateful.

2. empip

empip

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Instrucions field was blank.

The nearest printer mentioned is X1110 - You have X1100 ??? You may be lucky.

==========================================

Windows Help - How-to Add or remove a printer Click for M$
    ==========================================

You may be lucky -- see this :- It prints okay

-0o0-

3. Tried this and disaster struck! Don't know what happened but no longer have access to All Programmes on my new computer and so its back to the old one. The only saving grace is that the printer (X1150) works with this one. However, always the optimist, I am sure that someone out there has the answer to my latest problem - and please don't say give up. I also had no access to the internet and some icons, but I'm not sure which, have dissappeared from the bottom of the screen( not on this computer but on the other one). So over to you guys or would I be better calling in a local computer firm?

4. Softus

Softus

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    bolo, could you attempt to avoid treading the path of so many difficult-to-help posters?

You can do this by never describing things in terms of what you "can't do", or what the computer "prevents" you doing. The perfect description would be:

1. The action you take.
    2. The response that you expect the computer to give.
    3. The response that the computer actually gives.

This will lead to the answer you need in the shortest possible time and number of posts.

So, for example, when you say that you "no longer have access to All Programmes", that could mean many different things with many more possible causes. Could you describe this problem in the above terms?

Thanks.

5. 1 Click 'Start'.

2 Click 'All Programmes@

3 There are no progammes!

6. Softus

Softus

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Do you get a menu that is blank, or do you get no menu, or what?

7. Above 'All Programmes' (after it is clicked),Nothing! On bottom tool bar (?), only the time.

8. Softus

Softus

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I don't the answer to this yet, so, wishing to be irritating, I have to repeat the question.

When you click on 'All Programmes', do you get a menu that is blank?

If not, do you get no menu at all?

I can't think of a third alternative, but let me know if there is one.

9. Sponsored Links
  10. Providing that you don't swear at me Softus, you can be as irritating as you like.
    Bearing in mind that elsewhere on this site I have admitted to being a complete troll as far as practical things, particularly computers, are concerned, how do I,after clicking on 'All Programmes', tell the difference between a menu that is blank and no menu at all? I can imagine subscribers all over the country killing themselves with laughter at my computer illiteracy.

11. Spark123

Spark123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Click Start, control panel, system, system protection (top LHS), continue, System protection tab, system restore. Follow the on screen prompts to restore your PC to before you tried to install the driver.

12. Softus

Softus

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My previous post was supposed to say:

"I don't know the answer to this yet, so, without wishing to be irritating..."

Clearly it's getting late and I should stop before I completely lose the ability to type, but for now, when I say "blank menu" I mean 'do you get the usual menu, but with nothing showing on it?'.

13. When I click start on this computer I get about a dozen things above 'All Programmes' most of them Windows. Click on All Programmes and this reveals dozens of folders(?). On the other computer clicking on All Programmes reveals nothing apart from a white background. Just going to have a go at that other postings recommendation.

14. Sorry spark123,for referring to you as 'that other posting'. Am now going to follow your instructions to the letter in the hope that all will be well again with our new computer. Perhaps I went wrong somewhere last night

Sparky123, you're just a genius and if I was Softus I would probably use the perfect adjective to that description. I think that everything is back to normal so hopefully I'll be out of the doghouse! Cheers and thank you very, very much.
    ps.the spell checker doesn't work.
    ps. It does now.

15. Spark123

Spark123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I take it your printer still doesn't work though?
    I'm thinking as suggested above you should maybe try removing the other printer driver before you install the new one. Out of interest, do you have a restore point before you installed the printer driver the first time?
    Which version of Vista do you have? Basic, Home Premium, Business or Ultimate? Is it 32bit/64bit?
    I take it you downloaded the driver from here?: http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=227:5:0:405:0:0

16. Softus

Softus

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The word you're look for is "consumate". ;)

Sponsored Links