Installing an Outdoor 2 plug Rcd socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys I'm looking for some advice on installing an outdoor weather proof socket
I have on my internal wall a double socket , I have been told it's a simple operation as the place for the outside socket will be in the identical place as the inside socket , thus only a straight hole through the wall will be neede

I'm just curious on what cable I will need and can I just double up the cable connections to the internal socket and feed it through the wall and connected to the water proof Rcd socket outside

Also what cable could I use , 3 core flex as its not gonna be exposed to the elements or should I get a more protected cable

Any info people can share on this will be a great help

Sponsored Links
I have on my internal wall a double socket , I have been told it's a simple operation as the place for the outside socket will be in the identical place as the inside socket , thus only a straight hole through the wall will be neede
Fair enough. If the internal socket is part of a ring circuit, it's important to find out whether is is 'part of the ring' or a spur from the ring. In the latter case, you would not be allowed to take a further spur from it for the outside socket. If it's a ring circuit and there is only one cable going to the indoor socket, then it's definitely a 'spur' (so you would not be allowed to feed your outside socket from it - and therefore would have to 're-think'), but even if it has two cables, that does not guarantee that it is 'part of the ring'. You might need an electrician to ascertain the status of that indoor socket.
I'm just curious on what cable I will need and can I just double up the cable connections to the internal socket and feed it through the wall and connected to the water proof Rcd socket outside ... Also what cable could I use , 3 core flex as its not gonna be exposed to the elements or should I get a more protected cable
As you imply, if it were going straight from one socket to another through the wall, no special cable is necessary. Ordinary 2.5mm² 'twin and earth' cable would be fine.

BTW, why are you thinking in terms of an RCD socket outside - is the circuit from which you would be feeding it not RCD-protected?

Kind Regards, John

I shall check the ring circuit theory out , but knowing my luck it will end up having an electrician. Come out lol ,

And the reason for the Rcd socket is peace of mind really I know that's sounds redundant as the internal socket is Rcd protected so to add another at such short distance and on the same line would be a waste

Or am I totally wrong ?

I shall check the ring circuit theory out , but knowing my luck it will end up having an electrician. Come out lol ,
Fair enough. As I said, if it transpires that the inside socket in question is already a spur from a ring, then you'll have to do some re-thinking. If you do have to get an electrician out, (s)he will be able to suggest solutions.
And the reason for the Rcd socket is peace of mind really I know that's sounds redundant as the internal socket is Rcd protected so to add another at such short distance and on the same line would be a waste ... Or am I totally wrong ?
If the inside socket is RCD protected, and if that RCD is working satisfactory, then nothing would be gained by having an RCD socket outside. The only real reason for having it would be as 'belt and braces', to cater for the situation in which the indoor situation failed to work as it should.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Ok thinking back to the ring circuitry socket theory , the house is a brand new house just over 3 years old , would this give any indication if it would be ring circuit , also the plug is at the end of the room with no other electrics points following from it

Ok thinking back to the ring circuitry socket theory , the house is a brand new house just over 3 years old , would this give any indication if it would be ring circuit
Not with any certainty. If it is a ring, one would expect/hope that all sockets would be 'on the ring' of a new build (i.e. not 'spurs'), but even that is not totally certain.
... also the plug is at the end of the room with no other electrics points following from it
If it were an older property, that might be inclined to make it more likely that it is a spur (if the circuit itself is a ring), which is not what you really want to hear - but, as above, one wouldn't really expect spurs from a ring in a new build.

I suspect that you're going to end up having to ask an electrician to determine the status of the socket.

Kind Regards, John

Ok so if it's a spur from the ring then it's no go for self fit but if it's on the ring I'm fine ,as essentially I'll be creating the spur this way?

Ok so if it's a spur from the ring then it's no go for self fit but if it's on the ring I'm fine ,as essentially I'll be creating the spur this way?
Yep, but your problem without an electrician's help is going to be in becoming certain which of those two situations you're dealing with.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back