Installing downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Are moving into a 1800 home and doing a bit of work on it first.

One idea was to install recessed spotlights on the ceilings. What are the pro's and cons to this type of lighting?

Also we have a handyman doing alot of the work and says he will be able to install the spotlights. I was wandering whether he would be qualified to do this, does it not need to be an eletrician, do i need a certificate after installing them?

Finally, are there any building regs involved and will I need to get permission to do this work to the house?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
read up on part P. I would advie all electrical work is carried out by a competent registered spark and certified for your own piece of mind. downlights have loads of pro's and con's. what were your concerns with them?

The pro is they look good, and if installed properly, will light your room well, despite what two members on this site will have you beleive.

The con is they are horribly energy inefficient.

The pro is they look good, and if installed properly, will light your room well, despite what two members on this site will have you beleive.

..Unless CFL energy saver lamps are used of course ! [Mains versions only ]

Sponsored Links
Are your ceilings plasterboard? You may struggle if they are crummy old lath and plaster as it falls to bits usually.

Plus the laths are very flammable.

You may be able to use F-Marked fittings but you will need to follow the MIs wrt maximum wattage of the lamps.

Those two statements are incompatible.

If they are horribly inefficient then they cannot possibly be doing a good job.

:rolleyes:

The terms "will <do something> well" and "will do a good job" are equivalent enough to anyone not trying to start an argument.

Those two statements are incompatible.

If they are horribly inefficient then they cannot possibly be lighting the room well.

No - what I see is someone pathetically pretending that "will <do something> well" and "will do a good job" are different enough to justify them starting an argument.

The terms "will <do something> well" and "will do a good job" are equivalent enough to anyone not trying to start an argument.

See what I mean about imaginary words. :D :D

yes, i see :LOL:

Hi Alprod,

If you like the appearance of downlights, then have them installed (professionally). As mentioned, they are not very efficient at all, but most people understand that there is more than just efficiency to consider.

Some people here would have you believe that the only 'good' way light a room is have the ugliest P of S hanging from your ceiling, simply to reduce the wattage used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back