Installing external 13a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

When we built, I installed a couple of external 13a sockets; thought that was good enough, but ............... Would be nice to have a few more!

I can spur off an internal socket but the structure of the house gives me a concern. It is timber frame, Fermacell inside, Warmcell insulation, PanelVent external lining, breather membrane, cavity and rendered thermolite block on the outside. My main concern is to drill (pierce) the membrane, presumable from the inside as there is almost no way from the outside that I would get near the internal socket.

I know the breather membrane is tough, and if attempting to drill, just snags on the drill and rips itself to bits, something I don't want to do.

What is the solution?

Grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks and toodle pip

Sponsored Links
Some off topic posts have been removed.
The first reply on the Screwfix forum responded to a question I did not ask. My question is not really electrical, it is how does one drill through the breather paper within the cavity without ripping it to pieces and winding itself around the drill? If that happens, there is almost no chance of getting the drill out again.

The first reply on the Screwfix forum responded to a question I did not ask. My question is not really electrical, it is how does one drill through the breather paper within the cavity without ripping it to pieces and winding itself around the drill? If that happens, there is almost no chance of getting the drill out again.

I think the correct answer is probably something like, you should not be attempting to penetrate the paper, it's there for a reason, blah, blah, blah.

But of course, in the real world, it's going to get holes in it!

Are you able to drill through the wall up to the paper, then manually push a hole through with a long sharp implement, then resume drilling?

Had not though of that/ Guess that may be the way to go. Thanks for the suggestion.

I understand not penetrating the breather but is would only be a small hole and I cannot see that it would create any air tightness issues when compared with the overall surface area.

After all, we are going to be having a BT fibre installed soon, and although I will be using a CAT6 so they don't drill any holes in the wall, it seems the usual way is to drill through the wall to bring the cable to the ONT box.

Sponsored Links
If you are good with the ruler, you could try drilling from the inside up to the paper, then drilling from the outside up to the paper, then hack a hole through the paper.

You need a hole about 20mm diameter to give yourself a chance, and straightened out metal coat hanger to help locate your route through the holes, and then tie the cable to this and pull through.

If you are no good with the ruler, you may not want to do it this way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back