Installing Hive to Glow Worm 28c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Our new house has a new boiler - Glow Worm Essential 28C - and I'd like to put my Hive (original version) in. I took it out of the old boiler, replacing it with the old Honeywell stat, but am a bit confused by the new boiler's wiring.

The manual (here) talks about external controllers, which should be plugged into: B Off (Boiler off), RT, and eBus. This looks like this:

Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 21.39.31.png

But the Hive needs power, live, neutral and so on:

Hive-Connections.png

Here's another part of the manual

Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 21.45.34.png

So my question is - should I be putting the Hive wires into the above diagram, or the other one - or both?

Where in either diagram is the switch to turn the boiler on/off from the Hive?

Thanks for any pointers!

Cheers

Will

Sponsored Links
Why not just call BG upgrade to Hive 2 for £99 and they will fit it properly for you , job done

It's a good idea, one I've considered. But am extremely short of money and won't be able to afford it for a while. And I enjoy learning new things!

If anyone's willing to help advise...shout.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. So:

L to L
N to N

Where would (1) Common, 2 (Heating off), 3 (Heating on) plug into in that bottom picture?

screen-shot-2016-11-05-at-21-45-34-png.108048

You link live to common on the hive backplate. Heating on goes to RT and you don't need the heating off wired to anything.

You link live to common on the hive backplate. Heating on goes to RT and you don't need the heating off wired to anything.

Thanks @petit_pablo. So to confirm:

Hive Common to boiler L
Hive Heating On to boiler RT
Hive Permanent Neutral to boiler N

Hive Heating Off - not used
Hive Permanent Live - not used

Sorry for the questions and thanks for your help.

Will

Thanks @petit_pablo. So to confirm:

Hive Common to boiler L
Hive Heating On to boiler RT
Hive Permanent Neutral to boiler N

Hive Heating Off - not used
Hive Permanent Live - not used

Sorry for the questions and thanks for your help.

Will
nope
Boiler live to hive live
boiler neutral to hive neutral
link hive live to hive common
boiler RT to hive heating on

OK. And by "link Hive Live to Hive Common", on the Hive backplate I should screw Common into Live so they use the same socket - is that what you meant? No.1 into L, in the pic below

IMG_0240.JPG

Don't ask me! This is what it looked like when I took it off. So presumably I cut that black wire, and loop it into the L screw to create the link

Without knowing where its connected i wouldnt just cut it. Was the hive already wired up? If so it may already be wired corectly so it just needs that grey into RT

No. I've taken it from one house to our new house, so it's not connected anywhere yet.

Last question. Here's my electrics. Circled the main stuff. Do those wires currently in L and N etc stay there, and the Hive wires join them?

Sorry to be such a cretin.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

ok in which case yes just cut the black and loop it into the L.
As for the boiler wiring, if you can get hive wiring into that block, great. Otherwise you'll have to take LNE through the hive first then into the boiler.

All done. Thanks @petit_pablo hugely for all your help. Brilliant! And nice to learn a few things along the way too. One q - why did we need to link the common with the live?

IMG_0244.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back