Installing lintel into existing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently working on my own side extension. I have installed a cavity lintel on the front of the extension onto new brick work to create a new window. As i would like to keep the rear window opening as large as possible I am wondering if i can tie a cavity lintel into the existing brick work on the corner.

Has anyone any experience or advice on this?

lintel.JPG

Sponsored Links
You need to open up that cavity before you go much further, or at least cut out a slot and put in a dpc.

Thanks for the reply.

So open up the Cavity along the green line to make an opening suitable for the new lintel? Or open the full length of the wall cavity?

I believe i need 150mm of the end of the lintel to be baring into the wall.

How much brick work can i remove before impact the corner strength, or is this not an issue as i will be remedying the brick work as soon as i have the lintel in place?

Last edited:
I don't see a problem in proping and then inserting your lintel making sure it's well packed so does not drop.
However I am not sure if you need 550mm between your existing house wall and any openings.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tomfe. The window you can see in the photo is being opened up. A Structural Engineer is designing some steels. Two for the cavity wall (one for each cavity leaf) to support the load above and one vertical steel to be installed against the inside face of the corner return. The vertical steel I believe should handle this issue of the corner return being 550mm. I was hoping to remove as much of the return as possible, will see what he says about installation of the vertical steel, and how much brick work I can remove.

As I understand it, you're looking to insert a Catnic Lintel bridging that red line and into the corner of the existing wall where the green mark is right? I'd speak to a Structural Engineer before removing the corner to be honest to make sure that a Catnic will do the job or to if it needs to be another set up instead.

Thanks Hans. After I posted the initial post I spoke to a Structural Engineer. He has advised me a should be Ok to use an off the shelf lintel, will hopefully have some detail designs soon.

Will keep the thread posted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back