Installing soil pipe parallel to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A soil pipe from a toilet in a 1930s cavity wall brick house cannot go directly out the wall as it would go out under the kitchen roof. The soil pipe has to therefore run at a slight downwards angle a distance of 1 metre from the toilet to a location on the wall where it could go out and not hit the kitchen roof.

The soil pipe cannot run internally as it is an extremely small bathroom, and it can't run under the floor due to the direction of the floor joists.

I've just discovered there are devices known as macerators, which possibly might be the solution in this instance. I know nothing about them so I'll have to do a little reading up on them.

However my initial thought was that perhaps three rows of bricks (about 1 metre in length) could be removed from the internal wall only, an RSJ could be installed and the soil pipe could be installed below this so that it's inside the wall, and then finished off with plaster board, plaster, cement (I don't know) to hide it.

I was wondering if there were any thoughts on this possibility? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you go the macerator route I can offer full un bias advice.

Drawing please
upload_2016-7-9_19-5-16.png

This is a sketch of the side view of the room.

The window is shown.

The orientation and position of toilet is shown, the side of which sits directly against the wall with the window.

The red line indicates the external position and location of the kitchen roof.

The two blue lines show the way the soil pipe would have to run to escape the external kitchen roof.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
do you have access to the loft space?

where is the soil pipe?

do you have access to the loft space?

where is the soil pipe?
Yes, I have access to the loft space.

The soil pipe currently goes out on the left hand corner of the sketch. The current toilet is in precisely the opposite location.

The change in location is due to wanting to install a small bath in this very small bathroom. Currently only a shower cubicle.

can you draw a plan view?

The orientation and position of toilet is shown, the side of which sits directly against the wall with the window.
Where do the user's legs go?

can you draw a plan view?

Where do the user's legs go?
Here's a (not to scale) plan view. The black circle shows the location of the external soil pipe. You can see that I could simply have the pipe going out from the toilet and connecting up externally if the kitchen roof was not there. Which is why I'm wondering how feasible it would be to remove some internal rows of bricks and put it along there until it's past the kitchen roof.

upload_2016-7-9_20-37-49.png

can you add the bath and basin to your drawing?

Could you turn the WC so it faced the door?

Where is the ceiling of the kitchen in relation to the bathroom floor, and which way do the ceiling timbers run?

What are the dimensions of the bathroom?

Where will the bathtaps be?

can you add the bath and basin to your drawing?

Could you turn the WC so it faced the door?

Where is the ceiling of the kitchen in relation to the bathroom floor, and which way do the ceiling timbers run?

What are the dimensions of the bathroom?

Where will the bathtaps be?

The toilet can't face the door as the sink would be immediately there in front if the toilet was changed in that direction.
I've added the measurements of the bathroom onto the diagram 1500mm x 1702mm. I've added the sink and bath and tap locations.
The ceiling of the kitchen is below the bathroom floor.
I don't know which way the kitchen ceiling timbers run. There's no hatch into the roofspace of the small kitchen.
I've added a small alcove to the sketch in the lower left corner which I didn't have previously.

upload_2016-7-9_21-2-37.png

The only other layout is as below. As the toilet would be tight to the bath, the toilet would to be a narrow 34cm wide one with a "comfort" height as it is known. That is, a higher than normal toilet to bring the height of the bowl up to about 5cm below the bath.

The bath would be 1500mm long.
upload_2016-7-9_21-3-54.png

Last edited:
In the upper picture, perhaps you could run the soil pipe, inside the bathroom, under the window, then under the bath before turning to exit through the wall. As long as the bath feet are supported, you could cut the floor enough for the soil pipe to slope down a little between the joists. Though I think it would be preferable to rotate the WC so that it is facing the door. I see no need for it to be tight into the corner. The feet of a person sitting on the WC could go in front of the basin.

Ignore the position of the window for the moment.

Or in the lower picture, you could have a 1700mm bath under the window, with the WC on the left-hand wall, and the basin on either short wall. Remember that a soil pipe can pass under a bath, especially the non-tap end which due to the slope leaves a big space.

Hacking out the wall is an awful idea.

Photos would be even better.

Last edited:
In the upper picture, perhaps you could run the soil pipe, inside the bathroom, under the window, then under the bath before turning to exit through the wall. As long as the bath feet are supported, you could cut the floor enough for the soil pipe to slope down a little between the joists. Though I think it would be preferable to rotate the WC so that it is facing the door. I see no need for it to be tight into the corner. The feet of a person sitting on the WC could go in front of the basin.

Ignore the position of the window for the moment.

Photos would be even better.
In the upper sketch, the door would not be able to open fully back flat to the wall as the sink would stop it from doing so.

If the soil pipe is run internally, the toilet would have to be moved over slightly to allow this, and the sink would block the door from opening an acceptable amount.

I had thought about your suggestion previously myself but then realised about this sink issue, so had then thought of the possibility of removing bricks from the internal wall to run it along there.

If the toilet is moved 90 degrees to face the door, it would be ok when in use, but since the layout is so tight, the person would not have room to stand up because of the sink. The toilet would be 34cm across and 60cm from front to back. Therefore this again would mean having to move the sink down further behind the door.

In the upper sketch, the door would not be able to open fully back flat to the wall as the sink would stop it from doing so.
hinge other side?
I'd thought about that too.

It probably could be done for my first sketch, though there's no particular advantage as the door would open an adequate amount.

If the sink was moved towards the door to accomodate either an internal soil pipe or a turning of the toilet by 90 degrees, then the door would not open if hinged on the other side.

in upper sketch, rotate WC, put under window, move basin out of way of door.

You need to make a scale picture (preferably on squared paper) with dimensions to help us visualise it.

Otherwise put soil pipe through wall into kitchen loft space, then out through wall of kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back