installing solid wooden flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just laid chipwood floor in the kitchen ( well screwed down to the joists). I now plan to put down reclaimed mahogany, it will be fixed by using a bostitch nailer, i have looked at various web sites which seem to contradict themselves. Has anybody got any useful input before i lay the floor?

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
Hi. You will probably dont want to hear this, but you cant nail/staple into chipboard! It blows bigger holes than the staple/nail, causing weak fixing. You should of layed plywood, but can get away with 6mm plywood over the top ( minimum thickness) . Any more questions, give me a shout.

I'd chuck out the chipboard etc. -why lose the ceiling height?
Then t&g your mahogany, click it nicely into place and screw into joists.

Need to relay some pipes down the line? no probs, unscrew the boards.

b.

Sponsored Links
bananaspark said:
I'd chuck out the chipboard etc. -why lose the ceiling height?
Then t&g your mahogany, click it nicely into place and screw into joists.

Need to relay some pipes down the line? no probs, unscrew the boards.

b.

Hi
Mahogany is t & g already, when i first bought the timber i was going to put straight onto the joists, then after reading up (loads of conflicting advise) people seem to recomend ply or chipboard with it going in a kitchen. At the minute i am really hacked of and seriesely thinking of selling the lot and ither tiling or laminate tiles ( bad for me as i hate laminate)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back