Instant messaging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i dont know if im speaking out of turn here, and if i breach any rules of the forum, appologies in advance.

here goes. As a frequent viewer/reader of the forum i often wonder, do any of you guys have any instant messenger type software on your PC's? for example MSN messenger. so instead of waiting for a reply on the forum each member can have general chit chat with other sprakies, trainees, enthusiasts etc.

or does the forum infact have a general sort of 'chat room' facility that i have not noticed?

personally i think it would be a good idea for everyone to be able to speak in real time rather than having to wait about for replies.

some of you may think im taking the whole idea of a forum away but like everything...times change and technology moves on and all that.

just wondered what users and admins thought of the alternate idea of messaging.

cheers

bright spark

Sponsored Links
I have AIM and MSN. This sounds like a reasonable idea, but the advantage of the forum is you get view points from severeal very clever people, who can also correct someone if incorrect / bad advice is given. Also others can learn from reading the posts, without having to re-ask the same questions.

Agreed with RF - however I have seen a who's online/chat addon to some forums where you can talk in the chatroom attached to the forum as an added extra

I use msn a lot, have Crafty and Andy on there. I don't really think its a viable way of asking electrical questions, more of a way to chat about off topic stuff (and sometimes ontopic stuff , maybe talking about a certain thread or something), etc

Sponsored Links
agreed. i dont doubt the forum and is +ve's...not been as experienced as some of you guys i find it a great help, reading through stuff. but it was just a thought, a kind of server/chat room where folk can all put their 6 penneth in when topics become what id call indepth/interesting.

is there a way of exchanging msn addys without having to post in the main forum? (as im sure everyone doesnt want every tom dick and harry hassling them)

i think its a great way to get to know people etc and you never know when u might need that extra set of hands.lol.

If you view my profile, you'll find my email address, drop me an email to that and I'll reply and send you the address I use for MSN

You can add AIM / MSN etc. addresses to your profile if you wish

Adam_151 said:
I use msn a lot, have Crafty and Andy on there. I don't really think its a viable way of asking electrical questions, more of a way to chat about off topic stuff (and sometimes ontopic stuff , maybe talking about a certain thread or something), etc

For one specific topic chat (eg Electrics) it wouldn't be the perfect platform but to bring the whole of DIYNOT together as more of a community it may have some benefits?

the_jinj said:
Adam_151 said:

For one specific topic chat (eg Electrics) it wouldn't be the perfect platform but to bring the whole of DIYNOT together as more of a community it may have some benefits?

yeh absolutely....can the admins/mods put fwd the idea of perhaps having a chat room style facility for general use....im sure that for example the plastering guys might have questions about how they should approach tasks where electrical wires are concerned......maybe an inexperienced house basher would like to talk to a flooring expert on specific things.

i know some of you will be thinking 'well, thats the idea of the forum dur' but the thing im trying to get across is the whole 'real time' thing.....

anyways, it might work, it might not (christ, id better not take that approach on site ;) ) - only messin.

Well for an oldie I can honestly say that this idea is marvelous not least because you are never too experienced to learn something new and it is an interesting subject. I wish we had this technology when I was at college...might have done me technicians then.
I also wish I found this site at its outset.

Nearly everything i know about electrics has been learnt on this forum :eek: I knew quite a bit to begin with, but i now know why things are done the way they are.

Some sort of chat room / messaging facility would be a great idea. i think my msn is in my profile.

All those in favor say, ' i '

mods, can we get this thread sticky?

we could call it the Bright_Spark chat facility :LOL:

I have added my MSN and AIM addresses to my profile. I am a member of another forum :eek: who allow PMs to be sent to other users. This is not really used to discuss topics, but can be helpful for sending links etc.

My MSN's in my profile too, it's a different address from my primary email. I will now go through and see if I can add some of the regulars - I'm not sure I can immediately see any useful purpose, but we'll see...

Sponsored Links
Back