Insulating a Deck Frame as Base for Outdoor Bar/Workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope someone can advise.

I built a pizza oven on a poured concrete base a couple of years ago and built a deck frame around it last year.

I had intended putting a shed type structure on it, but am now planning to build more of an entertainment type room.

I am however concerned about two aspects:

1. Strength of deck frame
2. How to insulate the deck frame for the floor

Size of building will be approximately 4m x 5m, 2.4m height, 5 degree pitch roof

Deck is solid, lots of cemented posts.

I'll update tomorrow if different, but I think I used 2x4 for the frame and 4" posts. 2nd picture shows all cemented posts (between 1ft and 2ft deep), 3rd picture show additional posts sitting on ground.

Any advice recommended, thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3076.JPG
    IMG_3076.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2110.JPG
    IMG_2110.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2114.JPG
    IMG_2114.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2116.JPG
    IMG_2116.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2109.JPG
    IMG_2109.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It may be a dumb question but ..... are you planning to enclose the pizza oven within the new structure?

It may be a dumb question but ..... are you planning to enclose the pizza oven within the new structure?

Yes and no...I spent half a year trying to decide on roof type, and how join up the oven building with the main building...and didn't get any further!
So, yes, I am planning to enclose it, but I am still undecided on whether to have it with open walls or fully enclosed. To join with walls or just have it butt up to the main building? The different ground heights of the two 'to be' buildings mean they can't be the same height as the max height I can go within 1m of the fence is 2.4m (to eaves).

One of about a dozen different ideas (probably won't go with this):

Attachments

• Drawing (1).png
    Drawing (1).png
    49.6 KB · Views: 136
when you say 2.4m is that from deck level or ground level ??
you are restricted to 2.5m above natural ground level within 2m off the boundary to avoid the need for planing

Sponsored Links
Enclosing the oven inside any walled structure is a no-no

Could I fill the deck with concrete (DPM then insulation then concrete) - good idea/bad idea/would it even work?

Complete waste of time & materials. If you're going to build an outside room then start from scratch. The existing deck won't support any meaningful structure and, when the deck support posts rot, the structure will become unusable.
If you're planning to insulate the slab then what type of heating are you planning? Depending on the size of the room and what you plan to install inside it, you're approaching building regs. territory and maybe getting close to needing planning permission.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

Thanks newboy.

Footprint will be within 15sqm and total height will be max 2.5m, so shouldn't require permission.

I can't go back on the base design (it has to be on the deck frame), so I will adapt the outbuilding to be suitable for the wooden deck frame - even if that means compromising on design.

My assumption would be that any strength I can add to my base by filling with concrete (even if not cost efficient), will give me a little more flexibility on the design.

Not decided on heating type yet, but went to a friends house who had built on an insulted slab, and using a small heater was more than enough to heat the inside (maybe 20 sqm, 2.6m heigh), so anything to add to the ability to retain heat as an open deck frame will not do a good job of retaining heat.

Building Regs

If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building contains NO sleeping accommodation "and is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials."

I read that as applying for buildings between 15 sqm and 30 sqm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back