Insulating studwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to buy some insulation for internal studwork @400centres, but don't know what to choose, there are so many, rigid or flexi??? acoustic or thermal???? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
It largely depends on what you want to achieve, however, Rockwool Multi has good all round qualities for acoustic, thermal and fire.

Sponsored Links
Well it's internal timber studwork 2x4 in a basement what would you go with?

Well it's internal timber studwork 2x4 in a basement what would you go with?
Are you trying to suppress noise, thermally insulate or prevent the spread of fire?

Irrespective of the above, your gains will be limited by the fact that you are relying on the stud cavity.

If i were trying to suppress sound or noise, I would consider double boarding with dense plasterboards (like fire-boards) as well as filling the stud cavity with say fibreglass insulation.

This would also help prevent the spread of fire.

If it were insulation you were after I would consider using foam board insulation.

Ok, well really I'm after thermal, I'm not that concerned about acoustic because the suspended timber floor above will be soundproofed.

Rockwool do something called a rockfloor for acoustic, I was going to use this in conjunction with acoustic PB and dense underlay for the floor but haven't gotten to that stage.

I've already had 1st fix electrics to the area so double boarding not an option, although worth considering next time round

What do you think of either rockwool flexi or multirock as limerockconstruction mentioned?

Thanks.

Had to go with the flexi in the end as didn't have time to order in the sheeting, and don't have a large enough car to transport.

Perhaps psychological but installed most of the flexi today and it actually feels warmer in that immediate area. Sensed a change in reverberation as well.

Will definitely look at PIR next time I have to insulate (will probably use for upstairs stud work as its colder there.

Do you have a particular favorite of PIR, as there seem to be a fair few brands offering this good stuff

Its not psychological buddy, it genuinely works!

Try the seconds website people have mentioned on here. I tend to provide new stuff as I warrantee all of my work, but by all accounts the seconds website is pretty good.

Kingspan and Celotex are the market leaders but I believe that most of the PIR boards are there or there abouts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back