Insulation - foil faced or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What purpose does the foil serve? vapour control? reflection of heat?

Just ask as there seems to be a big difference in price. To be used for warm deck roof 120mm thick.

Sponsored Links
Damn near £50. That's new. Seconds are hardly cheaper. However some non foil seconds are half that.

Sponsored Links
I am just buying a load of insulation at the moment. All foil backed, so stuff like celotex/kingspan/recticel.

100mm 8x4 sheet = £33.31 plus vat.

50mm sheet £18.88 plus vat

25mm £11 plus vat.

There is a shortage of this insulation apparently due to a fire in germany where they make the chemicals which all the producers use for this insulation. Price increase of 17% coming in october apparently.

You could use the non foil stuff providing you lay a vapour plastic sheet layer.

Theoretically you get a better uvalue with foil faced due to a: less radiated energy escaping due to the reflectiveness b: foil lessens the off gassing
In reality not much.

Although I think it's worse if you're trying to use a pipe/cable/stud finder and also worse for your house-wide WIFI signal!

Nozzle

This stuff is one of the few things I never use my local merchants or Travis etc for and always go online, the main ones at the top of a Google search have always given me delivery within a couple of days and the best price which the merchants can't get near ( for me)

Cheers for the replies.

New from the online merchants is £50/foil faced board

Seconds are £48/foil faced board (the lesser priced boards are not in stock)

Seconds that are non foil faced and appear to be 1/4 sized boards work out to the equivalent full board price of £25/board. Quite a saving but more of a faff to lay.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Slight improvement in u value if it's facing into a void. The common thickness especially 50 and 100mm are much cheaper per M3, you could use a layer of 100 with 50 on top, or even 50 with 70 on top if you can get it cheap and don't have the space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back