Insulation - foil faced or not?

Sponsored Links
You can pick up a foam gun for about £15 nowadays, but reckon to throw it at the end of a job. The foam can be left on the gun, but if it's going to be unused for about a week, then unscrew the can, and push some foam gun cleaner through the gun.

Now I wouldn't normally have the temerity to contradict Noesall, but taping the joints with foil tends to get done at the overboarding stage, not at the "between the joist" level.

Yep foam gun is essential equipment if you don't want foam everywhere. Was tough explaining black hands at work "won't wash off, honest":LOL:

Sponsored Links
I didn't say you couldn't, but that's not best practice. Sods law always says that if something can go wrong, then it will, and a cheap gun will always clog quicker than a good quality one.

Now I wouldn't normally have the temerity to contradict Noesall, but taping the joints with foil tends to get done at the overboarding stage, not at the "between the joist" level.
Belt and braces. Plus the foil tape (especially the 100mm stuff) is brill at ensuring there is no air movement as well as being a vapour barrier.

What a massive difference from the hand held crap!!!!

IMG_5244.JPG

It's very controlable

IMG_5248.JPG

IMG_5249.JPG

IMG_5250.JPG

Thanks for the tip!!

Building Control came today and said everything is good and that I can crack on with the stud walls and the rest of my insulation.

I'm going to tape all the joints, fix a 50mm board under the rafters, tape those and plasterboard under that.

Should I still use the foil backed boards or a normal board? Also I have unlimited Visqueen, is there any point in a layer of that under the plasterboards as a VCL?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back