Interconnected smoke alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a annex building which is at the bottom of the garden.

I wanted to bolster the safety provision in here. It has a mains powered AICO smoke alarm but I am worried that if it wasn't occupied, we wouldn't know that a fire has started as we would be in the main house.

I ahve installed interconnected smoke detectors in the past and was wondering how that would work in this scenario as the buildings are around 15 metres apart with the garden separating them. Which type of 3 core and earth would be required?

Also, is there an option to have a speaker in the house that just amplifies the sound upon activation or does it have to be another AICO smoke detector in the house?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Works up to 100m line of sight, and 30m indoors. Doesn't use wifi in any way, it's a direct radio signal from one device to another.

Sponsored Links
Check the spec on them to ensure that the wireless link integrity is actively maintained (the remote should be sending an 'i'm here' signal every few minutes, the host should alert if one or more of these squirts is missed). I've got a very cheap wireless alarm system- it doesn't notice if detectors go AWOL.

Is there an option to provide mains power to these or are they exclusively battery powered
That particular item is battery powered.
Total nonsense using it where mains power is available.

For existing alarms it either a radio base https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EI168RC.html
or a module https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4666115-smartlink-module
depending on what type the existing alarms are.

If you want new alarms as well, then it's the 3000 series with the module as above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back