Intergas boiler

Models from Ferroli, Potterton and Worcester I have worked on, and now I hear that Vokera also had one.
Vokera had two, the first compact and the vokera option were both Bi thermal, and both suffered from premature heat exchanger problems

Sponsored Links
Even with double glazing the existing radiators may be too small to provide adequate heat when CH water temperature is reduced down to 60°C

When heating was installed the radiators would have been sized for 80°C water and double glazing in place.

Perhaps an upgrade to triple glazing is the solution to preventing hazardous hot slugs in the domestic hot water supply from certain makes of combi boilers.
In the 70/80s, the insulation value was appalling. Most homes have uprated their insulation greatly. Also rads were 10% oversized generally. These days with uprated insulation, a home can be run at 60C with no problems. A decent weather compensator will keep the flow temp down quite low most of the time.

To add...
The likes of Intergas have integrated weather compensation. Fit an outside temperature sensor and an Opentherm room temperature sensor, then low flow temperatures are near guaranteed - as well as low gas bills.

Last edited:
Vokera had two, the first compact and the vokera option were both Bi thermal, and both suffered from premature heat exchanger problems
Intergas heat exchangers are built like tanks.

Sponsored Links
To add...
The likes of Intergas have integrated weather compensation. Fit an outside temperature sensor and an Opentherm room temperature sensor, then low flow temperatures are near guaranteed - as well as low gas bills.

Don't do that it won't work ;)

Intergas heat exchangers are built like tanks.
Just to add, I never said that the Intergas suffered the same problems, I merely stated that a few older bi-thermal heat exchangers suffered from problems, I didnt mean that I have ever seen the Intergas suffer from it

Intergas have a clever pre-heat function. In the heating season the heat exchanger is constantly pre-heated.

Very few homes have not updated their thermal insulation.

Don't do that it won't work ;)
Many do. The two sensors, when the system is up to, or near setpoint temperatures will have the flow temperatures markedly reduced.

Eliminating, air leakages (draughts) and uprating insulation, triple glazing instead of double, increasing loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, insulated front door, etc, it the best way for any home, which will allow low flow temperatures from older radiators, giving more efficient condensing operation.

Intergas have a clever pre-heat function. In the heating season the heat exchanger is constantly pre-heated.

So what prevents the pre-heated heat exchanger from creating thermal convectional air flows through flue and dissipating ( some of ) the pre-heat to atmosphere ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back