Intergas boiler

Sponsored Links
So what prevents the pre-heated heat exchanger from creating thermal convectional air flows through flue and dissipating ( some of ) the pre-heat to atmosphere ?
Intergas flues are from the bottom with little heat floating out into the atmosphere. The case is insulated, so heat stays mainly inside the case. The Intergas has a clever preheat that does not preheat when there are lulls in DHW draw-off, say during the night. Also, it reduces the dead-leg draw-off of water reducing water bills and delivering DHW quicker. You could fit in a heavily insulated DHW secondary draw-off loop using a brass pump and pipe stat, but these tend to cost a lot to install and run.

To combat dead-leg draw-off problems, instant electric taps are becoming popular, with hot water following through from a combi or cylinder, cutting out the electric tap when through. BTW, a guy I know, after I alerted him to the, used these in his renovation to great success. Report to follow.

Last edited:
Many do. The two sensors, when the system is up to, or near setpoint temperatures will have the flow temperatures markedly reduced.

Eliminating, air leakages (draughts) and uprating insulation, triple glazing instead of double, increasing loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, insulated front door, etc, it the best way for any home, which will allow low flow temperatures from older radiators, giving more efficient condensing operation.

You was talking about Intergas boilers. In that case wired WC and OT controls will not work together..........

I was talking generally. The new Intergas boilers do work together I believe.

Sponsored Links
So what prevents the pre-heated heat exchanger from creating thermal convectional air flows through flue and dissipating ( some of ) the pre-heat to atmosphere ?

Good point. It wasn't an issue in the Netherlands because they use vertical flues with greater separation. When the HRE was first introduced to the UK they did have this problem and it caused relatively damp air to be drawn into the case leading to surface corrosion on the metal components and premature ignition failure.

A fan flap was introduced in 2015 which solved this problem by stopping the convection circulation. It was retro fitted by the service team whenever they visited a boiler so there are virtually no Intergas boilers in the UK that don't have one fitted now so whilst valid your question is no longer relevant

Grow up. They breed them on this forum. :rolleyes:

Was that directed at me?

Just because you don't know something doesn't make you stupid.

It's your attitude that shows you as an idiot.

Funny I have never you during training sessions at HQ in the Netherlands. Perhaps you don't know everything..........

Intergas flues are from the bottom with little heat floating out into the atmosphere. The case is insulated, so heat stays mainly inside the case. The Intergas has a clever preheat that does not preheat when there are lulls in DHW draw-off, say during the night. Also, it reduces the dead-leg draw-off of water reducing water bills and delivering DHW quicker. You could fit in a heavily insulated DHW secondary draw-off loop using a brass pump and pipe stat, but these tend to cost a lot to install and run.

To combat dead-leg draw-off problems, instant electric taps are becoming popular, with hot water following through from a combi or cylinder, cutting out the electric tap when through. BTW, a guy I know, after I alerted him to the, used these in his renovation to great success. Report to follow.

genuine question, I have an Eco RF 30 (controlled with Opentherm) but I don't have the pre heat switched on, there's no one in the house between 9 and 17:00 with hot water usage mostly in the evening (washing up, showering etc.) and I don't have a water meter. Would I save gas switching the pre heat on?

A fan flap was introduced in 2015 which solved this problem by stopping the convection circulation

What provision was made for any incidents of the flap sticking in the ( partially ) shut position when the boiler was commanded to fire up ? As I understand it there is no differential air presure switch monitoring air flow into the combustion chamber. How would the control system know that there was inadequate air flow for completer combustion ?

genuine question, I have an Eco RF 30 (controlled with Opentherm) but I don't have the pre heat switched on, there's no one in the house between 9 and 17:00 with hot water usage mostly in the evening (washing up, showering etc.) and I don't have a water meter. Would I save gas switching the pre heat on?
Have the preheat set to the hour glass (it cleverly selects the time it preheats).

On the timer, the other one is having the pre-heat on constantly.

If you have a long dead-leg you have to pour many litres down the sink. If you are on a water meter than may be expensive approaching. There is also the convenience of having quicker DHW at the taps. It is a matter of how much gas you use to get it warm, against how much water you waste. In winter when the CH is on it is automatically pre-heated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back