intergas boilers

Sponsored Links
The only plastic bit is the flow switch (ignoring flue parts for now).

Stopped by my brother this evening (also a Gas man). We were discussing a Vaillant boiler less than 5 years old needed a £500+repair the other day due to internal water leaks on the domestic side. Nothing to do with water pressure or quality.

Repaired by a bona fide Bunnyman, not a fly by night, so probably charged the customer 1 hours labour + parking and materials.

I admit though that the Gashkateers can be a tad evangelical about the product, but then the product gets so much hate from those that are wedded to branded products for no real reason other than the perception of a big corporate backer being a good thing. In my experience it is the eat opposite.

WB boilers are a joke unless you get their CDi range - which are far far too expensive for the quality of the boiler. Spoke to a chap today who was mortified when I told him his Shiny new expensive 18Ri was no good for any decent control system other than on/off. He had his heart set on weather comp but had been sold a pup by a WAI.

Think a Nest might make him "feel" a bit betterer :LOL:

The only plastic bit is the flow switch
which just happens to be a very common intergas failure

Spoke to a chap today who was mortified when I told him his Shiny new expensive 18Ri was no good for any decent control system other than on/off. He had his heart set on weather comp but had been sold a pup by a WAI.

Says a guy that makes controls from shoe boxes and shoe laces.

Intergas seems to attract two types, the bottom feeders where cheap and a free mug is what drives them on, or the forum type geek who wants to secretly be a scientist and fiddle with things.

Regards U6

The only plastic bit is the flow switch
which just happens to be a very common intergas failure

Incredibly rare part to fail actually - I can't see way the new model has a turbine - especially as it doesn't influence modulation. Unless they have changed something. In the ten years I have been dealing with the Atmos/Intergas models I have not to my recollection had to change a flow switch that was damaged by outside influences.

Intergas seems to attract two types, the bottom feeders where cheap and a free mug is what drives them on, or the forum type geek who wants to secretly be a scientist and fiddle with things.

Can't wholly disagree with you there, but the geek side of things was more Atmos, and they paid the price sadly.

Nowt wrong with being a mad scientist though. Certain forum regulars have failed to come up with alternatives to some of my concoctions despite certain dilussions (spelling.

My Tupper-centre 2.0 hasn't had a cheaper off the shelf alternative offered so far. :p

Sponsored Links
4 out of 6...really...caught fire.... Seems you were very unlucky as the amount that actually burst into flames within the UK wasn't many more and the number with heat damage wasn't great either.

But let's look at it another way, Vaillant had an issue about 6years ago, the intergas wasn't even around here then, and no the atmos version isn't exactly the same.
Your boiler as you've said before like many other intergas had a 4fault... has the manufacturer admired the issue and started to solve it...the manufacturer who's boiler caught fire (don't make me laugh) did straight away.

I know what I'd fit in my house.

Regards U6

Yes really U2 4 out of 6 on the same job went up in flames and we've never installed another Vailliant, and never will.

Ps I assume the fault 6 year ago is another problem as Im talking 8-9years, or did the problem continue for 3 or 4 years maybe longer :rolleyes:

And I know what I fitted in my house Intergas, the only boiler I'd swap my 40 + Servowarm elite for.

I'll bow to you being able to remember years and dates better than I.

So let's not fit a boiler that apparently 4/6 caught fire on 8-9years ago....have you heard of many since that date that came under the recall scheme?

Still find it odd that 4/6 caught fire, what was the manufacturers response considering you were unlucky enough to have the largest quantity in the UK do it to a single installers

I stand by my original list of WB and Vaillant long before intergas, with atag a consideration.

Regards U6

Is it true that wb and valliant have more engineers running around repairing their boilers under warranty than there are royal mail postmen.

Why would they need an army if they are that reliable, and can I assume the multi million pound cost for them is tagged on to the overpriced bean cans

Which manufacturer has an heat exchanger that ripples when it gets hot ( looking just like a bean can) before it fails miserably.

Proportions and percentages against units sold.
How many models does Worcester and vaillant have, new and old.

bean can heat engines-notice that's not the boiler I recommended.

Where did viesmann get brought into this.....

When was the last domestic gas boiler you installed to be able to give a modern day view.

Proportions and percentages against units sold.

bean can heat engines-notice that's not the boiler I recommended.

Where did viesmann get brought into this.....

When was the last domestic gas boiler you installed to be able to give a modern day view.

Viesmann should read Valliant, bit early in the morning still, I'll go back and edit it in a minute.

So what percentage ratio are we talking, 10 % engineers to boiler sales.

About two years ago. and no I don't read the rubbish in Which either.

As for Vailliant, methinks you protest too much, do you work for them, or get loads of goodies every time you you fit one ?

Good question, why do they have a dozen different models all doing exactly the same, and why modify them every 6 months, looks like bodging design faults to the clever people.

Most manufacturers seem to have about 2% warrantee calls per year.

So with a staff engineer doing perhaps four repairs a day for 300 days a year he can cover 1200 repairs a year.

So one engineer can provide warrantee cover for 60,000 boilers.

But there is obviously something wrong with the maths there. I am not sure what yet!

Most manufacturers repair staff workload seems to be repair in the winter/service in the summer.
Our postcode area/county code has 2 worcester engineers, 2 vaillant, 3 heat team and about 4 ideal heating engineers.

As for DoItAll's comment about why so many models- surely it's to cover all market ends, just the same as do ford make just one car or do they make vehicles for different needs and budgets, do they then make different models of each vehicle....maybe they should go back to just one car, one model, one colour!
2 years since you last fitted a boiler....working whilst retired....bored? ;)

Regards U6

As for DoItAll's comment about why so many models- surely it's to cover all market ends, just the same as do ford make just one car or do they make vehicles for different needs and budgets, do they then make different models of each vehicle....maybe they should go back to just one car, one model, one colour!
2 years since you last fitted a boiler....working whilst retired....bored? ;)

Regards U6

Get away not even you believe that, and as for the ridiculous comparison to a car, how many different colours does a Vaillant come in.

How many vaillant and WB failed diverter valves do you guess is sold each week, (500) or more :eek:

As for working while retired, keep active is the road to a long life after you pack up the tools, so yes I do lots of DIY, The only work I do is snooker refereeing.

Well with apologies to bell in case he is here I would point out that Vaillant make three levels of boiler, they cleverly brand them differently. Vaillant, Glow-Worm, Heatline.

Not sure about agiles maths either. Worcester have just over 300 engineers. Our product dept freak out if the calls for boiler failure hits 1.3% a year warranty calls. That does not include wasted calls for people who stick boilers on a dirty system, 240Volts on a 24 Volt switching PCB or calls for no heating because a HW RF stat has lost contact with receiver.

All part of life's rich tapestry and the same for all manufacturers.

Good post VC and you hit the nail on the head with ''That does not include wasted calls for people who stick boilers on a dirty system''

Only one boiler I know can handle that (within reason) and it aint any of the main stream boilers.

Ok punters want cheap and nasty and screw the installer down to the bare bones, so they get what they deserve, still comes back on the Manufacturer though, No win situation unless they can make a boiler thats RGI proof.

Good post VC and you hit the nail on the head with ''That does not include wasted calls for people who stick boilers on a dirty system''

Only one boiler I know can handle that (within reason) and it aint any of the main stream boilers.

Ok punters want cheap and nasty and screw the installer down to the bare bones, so they get what they deserve, still comes back on the Manufacturer though, No win situation unless they can make a boiler thats RGI proof.

Apparently that is correct about the Intergas (I haven't fitted one) but the manufacturer says it should not be put on a dirty system, it should have the same quality water as the Vaillants and all others. Just putting it out there. :LOL:

One thing I disagree on DIA is that punters do want a cheap but also top class job and to screw down the installer which is an impossible circle to square and I agree, they get exactly what they deserve.

If you like the Intergas, feel good about it and put it in with care it will look after you just as other boilers put in with appropriate care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back