Intermediate light switch wiring

A

abdef

Intermediate light switch wiring

I have an existing light switch on my first floor landing that operates two lights on that floor. These lights can also be switched on and off from the ground floor.

I have recently upgraded the lighting and have now installed a separate switchable dimmer switch on the first floor too.

I'm not sure how to wire it correctly and seek advice please.
As you can see from my pic, I currently have a 3 core + earth and a twin + earth in the old colours. The 3 core is from the ground floor switch.

COM – red 1
1 – yellow 2
1 – black 3
2 - blue 4
2 – red 5

NEW WIRE is in the new colours, grey 6, black 7 and brown 8.

New switch is numbered 1, 2 ,3 and 4.

What should go where?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sponsored Links
Are you trying to say you have added an extra switch, and you have run a new 3 core and earth cable (not shown) to the switch in your photo? And you are going to replace this switch for an intermediate?

Sponsored Links
Are you trying to say you have added an extra switch, and you have run a new 3 core and earth cable (not shown) to the switch in your photo? And you are going to replace this switch for an intermediate?

Hi, yes that's correct. I've just read my question and it was not totally clear so apologies for that.

The new 3 core is out of view but within the mounting box.

The new switch is numbered as you'd expect, 1234.

I had hoped to replace the switch shown with a dimmer and the new switch that's been fitted at the other end of the hallway to be a simple on/off but understand that's not possible.

Hence the new switch is now the dimmer and the 3 core from that goes to the existing switch (shown) which will now be the new intermediate switch!

Hope you follow.

Thanks.

Can you work what you have into this?

electrics:lighting:jbharm2wint.gif

It's hard to say for absolute sure without seeing a picture of the new intermediate, yet I am guessing 1 and 2 are at the top, and 3 and 4 at the bottom?

How are you matching the old and new 3 core and earth cable? Based on your picture, this would be the obvious code;
Red = brown (common in your case)
Yellow = black
Blue = grey

So, at intermediate;
Connect the 3 core red and the 3 core brown together in a separate 5 amp connector block.
Connect the 2 core red and the 3 core yellow to terminal 1.
Connect the 2 core black and the 3 core blue to terminal 2.
Connect the 3 core black to terminal 3.
Connect the 3 core grey to terminal 4.

Connect all earths together, ensuring metal back boxes and metal faceplates are connected to earth.

And make sure red/brown is used as the common on the other two switches.

Thanks sparkwright.

So here is how the new dimmer has been fitted so far.

So does you guide still fit with this?

Also I thought earthing the mounting box was no longer required?

Yes, that fits with what I said.

You wouldn't need to earth the box in your case as the earth on the faceplate will earth the box anyway via the fixing screws.

Probably better practice to earth box directly as well, as the box is earthed when the faceplate is loosened off, yet not really an issue.

Yes, that fits with what I said.

You wouldn't need to earth the box in your case as the earth on the faceplate will earth the box anyway via the fixing screws.

Probably better practice to earth box directly as well, as the box is earthed when the faceplate is loosened off, yet not really an issue.

Many thanks indeed. All working nicely.

The hardest part was fitting all that into a 16mm box. I felt like a surgeon!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back