Intermediate OR 2-way light switching with dimmer (Ed.)

Sponsored Links
I've tried all those steps and still no progress.

I installed a new intermediate switch on the landing (same wiring pattern) and the issue remained. Now both switches have been replaced.

I tried the blue and black into L1 and issue remained.

I tried swapping red and black over and had no light at all so have reversed to original wiring.
I think it's time to test wiring as replacing both switches with new should have cured the problem.
The original way it was wired should have worked correctly and it did for many years, I've even wasted my time and double checked by mocking it up.

Sponsored Links
Can I suggest you do the following wiring
1705859581009.png
Wired this way the intermediate will do nothing and the light will be on in both positions of the 2 way switch, maybe a quick flicker when switched over.

This is only a test of wiring and the 2 way switch, I'm not suggesting it as a wiring solution.

The next test will be
1705859954680.png
to test the intermediate switch

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll try those suggestions when I have daylight again. Will feedback on the outcome.

Moderator's note

Some posts have been split off to another thread.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back