Can I replace an intermediate switch with a 2 way switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all you brighter, more electrically wise people - I have a question - can I replace an intermediate switch with a simple 'ordinary' 2 way switch? I bought 2 switches, and realised when I took of the old switches off that it was an intermediate switch, ie had 4 terminals - namely L1 L2 L3 L4 - the replacement switches have 3 terminals - namely com L1 L2. Is it possible to take the four wires from the intermediate switch and put them in the 2 way switch, to save buying an intermediate switch (which it seems may not be available in the same style as the other new ones I've bought - genius huh?)

Also behind the switch, there is, as I'm sure you'd expect, my 2 red (power) cables and my earth cable.

Sponsored Links
Er, no. If you want this circuit to work as intended, you need an intermediate switch.

Sponsored Links
thenotsobrightspark said:
can I replace an intermediate switch with a simple 'ordinary' 2 way switch?

where did you intend on putting all the wires then?

you could use the two way or even a one way switch and a DPDT relay wired in change over configuration to replace the intermediate. Sometimes the only option if you need to match existing switches

Buy an intermediate switch! You know you need to! :LOL:

toasty said:
you could use the two way or even a one way switch and a DPDT relay wired in change over configuration to replace the intermediate. Sometimes the only option if you need to match existing switches
and the neutral to operate the relay comes from?

I thought about suggesting a 2gang 2way switch, a bit of DIY glueing the switches together with a piece of plastic so they both switch at the same time, wired as a change over configuration, then I thought better of it and didn't bother posting my suggestion :LOL:
Best buy an intermediate switch.

Of course you can do it.

But it won`t work as intended though.

Get an intermediate.

have an electrician fit it though

thanks for all the suggestions and responses - there seems to be an air of disagreement as to whether it can be done or not - so I've located a switch in the same style as our new ones and gone and bought an intermediate switch to save any further bother.

this way I can wire it as per the old switch

thenotsobrightspark said:
thanks for all the suggestions and responses - there seems to be an air of disagreement as to whether it can be done or not
You've certainly picked an apt username, haven't you....

breezer said:
and the neutral to operate the relay comes from?

Breezer, with respect, I'm trying to offer the guy a solution to his problem rather than just saying (as you did) that it won't work.

Agreed you need a neutral for an intermediate, but the relay doesn't have to be located in the lightswitch, it could be somewhere else.

As I say, I'm trying to be helpful, your post (with the greatest of respect) was of no use to the guy whatsoever.

Please remember this is a DIY forum where people look for solutions to their problems. Your answer:
breezer said:
where did you intend on putting all the wires then?
doesn't help.

To be fair you aren't the only one, but come on, let's try and help out a bit here, I see little point wasting both your time and the time of the poster just giving unuseful answers.

So, I still maintain he could use a relay - hopefully this will be useful to the guy, and if he wants further information I'll gladly provide it.

One of my customers broke their double socket. When I arrived, he thrust a 1G switch in my hand and was gob-smacked to learn that it would not be a suitable replacement, ie, he would not be able to attach his table lamp to it.

If a switch has four terminals, and they are all employed, why should anyone conclude they could replace it with a switch with fewer terminals?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back