Intermediate OR 2-way light switching with dimmer (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bear with me...

I have a light on my landing which is operated by an intermediate 2 way switch (on the landing) and a 2 way dimmer on the ground floor. Pics attached.

All has worked fine for over 10 years. Recently the bulb started to flicker when switched on then died. I've tried new bulbs and sometimes get a flicker when switched on but nothing more.

I read some advice on here and decided to initially check and tighten the wiring. No joy.

Next step was to replace the switches. I wasn't sure about the intermediate switch as it has L1, L2, L3 & L4 connections and I can't find a like for like switch. I can only find L1, L1, L2,.L2.

Before I call an electrician I decided to replace the ground floor 2 way dimmer with a 2 way switch.as the connections were the same, L1, L2 l, Com. And it works! Almost!!

Now if I switch on from the ground the light on the landing goes on or off as expected. But if I leave it on and switch it off from the intermediate (landing) then the intermediate switch takes over I.E. the ground floor switch doesn't work. If I switch ON from the intermediate (landing) and go to the ground I can switch the light off and on I.E. take control with the ground floor switch again. But as soon as I switch off at the intermediate switch the ground floor becomes useless.

I hope I've explained that well enough. I'm happy to look for a local electrician but thought I'd ask first in case it's a simple matter. As I see it, I've just replaced a 2 way dimmer with a 2 way switch on the ground but the circuit is now out of synch....

Any advice appreciated

Attachments

• Ground.jpg
    Ground.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Landing.jpg
    Landing.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
Have you altered the wiring on the intermediate?

If NOT - has the two-way system ever worked properly?

Sponsored Links
Have you altered the wiring on the intermediate?

If NOT - has the two-way system ever worked properly?
The wiring on the intermediate hasn't been touched (apart from tightening screws). The 2 way system has worked fine for over 10 years.

That does not make sense.

An intermediate switch (the one with 4 terminals) goes in-between two 2 way switches (the ones with 3 terminals).

Something is amiss somewhere.

No, but then neither is it wired correctly for acting as an intermediate; indeed neither are there enough wires for that.

That intermediate switch photo shows two red wires in the top terminal. That isnt right.
What are the wires exactly in that switch? Are there other wires in the box that we cannot see.

Do people really have a problem with how it's wired?

If we ignore L2 on the intermediate and treat it as a connector block then it's simply a very conventionally wired conventional system.

PMartin: I don't know if it's possible to fill this table in.
Can you can please fill the 4 boxes wether the light is 'on' or 'off' for the 4 combinations of the switch positions. If the boxes can't be filled in then describe as 'up up off' etc for the 4 combinations.
TOP SWITCH​
UP​
DOWN​
BOTTOM SWITCH​
UP​
DOWN​

Do people really have a problem with how it's wired?

If we ignore L2 on the intermediate and treat it as a connector block then it's simply a very conventionally wired conventional system.

PMartin: I don't know if it's possible to fill this table in.
Can you can please fill the 4 boxes wether the light is 'on' or 'off' for the 4 combinations of the switch positions. If the boxes can't be filled in then describe as 'up up off' etc for the 4 combinations.
TOP SWITCH​
UP​
DOWN​
BOTTOM SWITCH​
UP​
test​
test​
DOWN​
test​
test
Yep looks like it does, Just click on the 'QUOTE' button and 'click to expand' so you see all.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back