Can I replace an intermediate switch with a 2 way switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
securespark said:
If a switch has four terminals, and they are all employed, why should anyone conclude they could replace it with a switch with fewer terminals?

I agree, he's clearly is mistaken thinking he can directly swap an intermediate for a 2 way switch, I'm not debating that though.

My point is that on a DIY forum you get DIYers who want advice, there is nothing to be gained for either party by just saying "No" especially when (as in this case) the answer is actually "Maybe" i.e it would work but you'll need a relay.

I've just noticed recently that there is a lot of this type of thing going on, and it seems a shame, let's try to help the DIYers out, that is after all what the forum is for.

Sponsored Links
toasty said:
My point is that on a DIY forum you get DIYers who want advice, there is nothing to be gained for either party by just saying "No" especially when (as in this case) the answer is actually "Maybe" i.e it would work but you'll need a relay.
Sorry, toasty, but the answer "No - go and buy the right switch" is hugely more helpful than suggesting he should d*ck around with relays.

ban-all-sheds said:
toasty said:
Sorry, toasty, but the answer "No - go and buy the right switch" is hugely more helpful than suggesting he should d*ck around with relays.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: here here!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

toasty said:
breezer said:
and the neutral to operate the relay comes from?

Breezer, with respect, I'm trying to offer the guy a solution to his problem rather than just saying (as you did) that it won't work.

Agreed you need a neutral for an intermediate, but the relay doesn't have to be located in the lightswitch, it could be somewhere else.

As I say, I'm trying to be helpful, your post (with the greatest of respect) was of no use to the guy whatsoever.

Please remember this is a DIY forum where people look for solutions to their problems. Your answer:
breezer said:
where did you intend on putting all the wires then?
doesn't help.

To be fair you aren't the only one, but come on, let's try and help out a bit here, I see little point wasting both your time and the time of the poster just giving unuseful answers.

So, I still maintain he could use a relay - hopefully this will be useful to the guy, and if he wants further information I'll gladly provide it.

Er, toasty, with respect, you seem to have forgoten where you are posting.

This is a D.I.Y. forum the poor op only wants to change a switch, not worry about relay, he probably doesn't even know what they are let alone know how to wire one.

You also forget that to do the job properly it will need:

relay,
base,
suitable enclosure,
more cable
time to do it
be able to understand a drawing

all the above or get the right switch which is the op going to want to do? spend a bit of money on something he knows nothing about or get the right switch?

90% of posters on this forum want a simple answer, not 6 page long written instructions which they probably not understand

By posting as we do, we really are helping out diy people, we point out the errors of their ideas (ok, some times we do go a bit OTT) but would you want to give advice to some one that they will not understand?

there is not much to understand about the word NO (as in NO you can't do that, or no yahdy yahdy yah)

my comment of where do you intend putting the wires then? was designed to make the op THINK, 4 terminals in existing switch 3 on new switch? 4 + 3 hmmmmmmmm................

so although as you said is possible (but you still require a neutral) you have to remeber people want a black and white yes or no answer, unless they ask otherwise

Sponsored Links
Went to a job today, where the DIYer had replaced an intermediate switch with 20A DP switch.

He couldn't understand the problem as it had the right number of holes!
:LOL:

77992way.JPG

How's that?

R2

This topic was in July so he has hopefully got it sorted by now ;)

as spark123 says

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back