Intermediate OR 2-way light switching with dimmer (Ed.)

Drawn it out now, makes sense. But something is obviously not right with the strappers. Or one of the switches is dicky.

Sponsored Links
Do people really have a problem with how it's wired?

If we ignore L2 on the intermediate and treat it as a connector block then it's simply a very conventionally wired conventional system.

PMartin: I don't know if it's possible to fill this table in.
Can you can please fill the 4 boxes wether the light is 'on' or 'off' for the 4 combinations of the switch positions. If the boxes can't be filled in then describe as 'up up off' etc for the 4 combinations.
TOP SWITCH​
UP​
DOWN​
BOTTOM SWITCH​
UP​
DOWN​
Feedback 1_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far. I've entered feedback on the table supplied by Sunray.

Why the original "installer" used a (Relatively Expensive) "Intermediate/Crossover" switch,
in lieu of a SPDT switch
(which would have "done the job" for only a 2-Way [2-Location] switching situation)
is incomprehensible!
I imagine that as some point a 2 way switch with a loop terminal was used and this intermediate switch was used as a replacement and wired in the same format.

Lovely thank you.
I'm still suspecting a faulty switch and as you have replaced thedimmer with a new switch I'll guess it's the intermediate.

Basically it uses 4 contacts and moving wires around may very well find the faulty contact.

Try swapping the reds and blacks over (as the internal contact at L2 in currently not used) which will work if it's L1 faulty
EFL option may resolve it, if it's L3 's contact faulty

Lovely thank you.
I'm still suspecting a faulty switch and as you have replaced thedimmer with a new switch I'll guess it's the intermediate.

Basically it uses 4 contacts and moving wires around may very well find the faulty contact.

Try swapping the reds and blacks over (as the internal contact at L2 in currently not used) which will work if it's L1 faulty
EFL option may resolve it, if it's L3 's contact faulty
Thanks again. Before I try those.2 options I thought I'd mention that I also bought a replacement intermediate switch (pic attached). It doesn't follow the L1, L2, L3, L4 layout of the current intermediate so I can't follow the same cable connections. Can it be used?

Attachments

• 20240121_124315.jpg
    20240121_124315.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 17
I've tried all those steps and still no progress.

I installed a new intermediate switch on the landing (same wiring pattern) and the issue remained. Now both switches have been replaced.

I tried the blue and black into L1 and issue remained.

I tried swapping red and black over and had no light at all so have reversed to original wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back