Internal doors hole... New door or possible fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

We had an incident where an old table surface managed to completely block our kitchen door from the inside... Short story is that now we have been left with a big hole in our door ( that we made to open it again) and I'm unsure wether I now need to buy a new door or not....

My questions are:

- is this possible to fix without buying a new door?
- if I have to get a new door, what am I looking for? Is this a hollow core chipboard door?

Also the dimensions are a bit weird 1918mm x 703mm...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Pictures below....

Sponsored Links
the way i would tackle that hole would be to push filler into the hollow edges and a pyramid shape 10mm high on top
i other words the hole will look the same shape but 20mm smaller

then when dry add another 10mm all the way round again in the same triangular shape

only mix up enough filler for each step

If you can, push some expanding foam into the hole under some of the cracked ply etc. pull back slowly to fill hole. After the foam has set cut of with either a flexible knife or a fine hacksaw blade, a we bit under the level of the surface, fill with glue/sawdust or glue and standard white filler, smooth off when completely dry trying to emulate the finish of the surrounding door face...pinenot :)

Thanks for the replies! They both look like good anwers and I will give it a go this weekend... My second question would be.... as this is a rented property I'm still a little worried of it looking rather obvious, so in the outcome of me failing with the hole filling, what would you say would be an average price for buying a new door (of the same type and finish) and getting it fitted?

Many thanks for your help on this,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Need to confirm some things first, it looks like a fire door and if it's the kitchen pass door that's most likely. You can check this - first what thickness is it? secondly are there any normal fire door indications i.e. any let in intumescent strips, or small round/coloured buttons along the edges?? ...pinenot :)

Need to confirm some things first, it looks like a fire door and if it's the kitchen pass door that's most likely. You can check this - first what thickness is it? secondly are there any normal fire door indications i.e. any let in intumescent strips, or small round/coloured buttons along the edges?? ...pinenot :)

Hi Pinenot, the depth of the door is 44mm. Not sure about the strips or buttons though? There was nothing around the frame. I took another picture of the side of the door if that helps...

Thanks in advance!

Yes that's a one hour fire door. The peg is an intumescent expansion peg, designed to swell and lock the door in the posts when the heat builds up. At 44 mm that signifies it's most likely a one hour door.
These are available from Wickes (just one of many retailers no doubt) depending on size from £ 30.99. To comply the door should be fitted with some form of self closing/latch devise and fitted in suitable frame...pinenot :)

My Advice

Don't even try to fix it! It's a fire door! replace it

+1, now that we know, buy a replacement.

It will take about half a day (setting up/down checking everything etc.) for a good tradesman, so expect to pay around £80 - upwards - for a proper job. You are going for a like to like swap over, so know need for smoke seals etc. if there not part of the existing, but you must have the self closing ironmongery refitted - closer, Perko or whatever and reuse the hinges if they're in a good enough state...pinenot :)

I know that you are replacing the door but for what it's worth the easiest way to repair it would have been to pin a piece of hardboard over the entire face , both sides of course , and repaint.

Hi All,

Thanks again for your brilliant replies, this really is a massive help for someone with no experience in this field!

Here are the doors options I've been looking at:

Pre-primed Door
http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/p/in...81-x-762-x-44mm-66-x-26-x-1-34/322840/3893402
£58+VAT (I can probably pick this up and get a bus back)

http://www.doorstoresonline.co.uk/P...-Vicaima-p/pre-primed 30 minute fire door.htm
£89.11 Including delivery

Ply door that will need Priming/undercoat/topcoat
http://beta.wickes.co.uk/Lisburn-Ply-Veneer-Fire-Door-1981x762mm/p/200294
£30.99 including VAT (I can probably pick this up and get a bus back)

So I have two more questions (sorry!):

1. The nearest size I have been able to find to my door is 1981mm x 762mm. The current door is 1918mm x 703mm so this means I would have to shave off 63mm from the height and 59mm from the width... Would this not damage the door?

"Fire Doors must not be trimmed on top edge, only up to 5mm on bottom edge and 3mm on stiles" - Travis Perkins website.

2. As you can see from above I've been looking at Primed and non primed doors, I'm happy to do the priming/painting myself if it would be more cost effective (bearing in mind I will have to buy all the paint as well)...

As always your thought would be hugely appreciated on this!

Many Thanks,
Dan
[/u]

That originally would have been a 6' 6" x 28" fire door. All the national building suppliers will stock solid core door blanks close to this size, if not exactly, however door blanks can be cut to any size and offer a min of FR 30 your looking for. So check online by all means, also give them a phone quoting the imperial sizes, you should get what you want...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back