Internal PIR experiences?

[I asked a few civil and relevant questions because of the possibility that the OP had not considered them. If everybody here always makes the assumption that people asking questions have always considered every aspect and implication of what they want to do, and never checks, then I can guarantee you that they won't always provide effective advice.

Do you really believe that everybody who comes here for advice has already thought about everything related to what they want to do?

Most people do not think out of the box. They look only at the obvious and required aim of the project and do not seek out the dis-advantages or problems that might show the project to be non viable.

So I fully agree with Ban All Sheds on the need to develop the question to cover the points the original question has not covered before a complete package of advice can be provided for the specific application.

But I cannot agree with his way of developing the question which is seen as being agressive ( though I assume it is not meant to be agressive ).

Sponsored Links
At least I don't think that it's possible that an elephant could have learned to read and write English, had a keyboard and mouse adapted so it could use them, learned to use the internet and learned to do electrical work (presumably with a set of specially adapted tools).

What's wrong with having one of these on the wall at the top of the stairs, and one at the bottom?
Do you want to build a template and we'll all do our houses exactly as you have yours, you could put numbers on and we could paint each part exactly the colour you say.
it's a very small narrow hall so I shouldn't have any issues with it picking up movement.
So day or night, light or dark, the lights will come on whether needed or not, and will stay on after the passer-by has passed by.
Thats what the lux level setting will dictate.
What type of lamps are you going to use?
GU10 Downlighters, are they wrong.. what would you like me to use?
What will you do when the PIRs break, and you are in darkness all of the time?
The PIRs can always be overridden by the switches I currently have on the wall.

And I'm not an elephant, though I have got big ears :) Cheers for all the advice and sensible / funny replies!

Sponsored Links
What type of lamps are you going to use?
GU10 Downlighters, are they wrong.. what would you like me to use?

I think you maybe interested to read an earlier post on the subject of GU10 Downlighters. I paste it below...

So with that in mind what good quality adjustable downlights are available for the new kitchen extension we are in the process of building?
Doesn't matter how good the quality is, they will still do a rubbish job, so you might as well buy the cheapest rubbish you can find, as that'll cost you less when the reality dawns and you have to replace them with something which works properly.

We have looked at the Megeman cool white 11 watt bulbs but they have a much wider beam than 45 degrees. I have seen some Philips 9 watt LEDs which have a better beam angle but they are £30+ for each bulb and we will need an additional 12 for the new extension.
Doesn't the fact that if you used halogen lamps you'd need 600W of lighting just in the new extension tell you anything? Is the extension enormous? Or could it be that 2" spotlights are a stupidly useless way to try and light a room?

It certainly looks like LEDs are the future so we may initially use GU10 halogens until the price of the LEDs come down but how do they compare with the MR16s?
GU10 is the type of base, MR16 is the type of envelope. Nearly all GU10 base lamps have MR16 envelopes, most lamps with MR16 envelopes have either GU10 or GU5.3 bases.

Basically we want to get from MR16s to LEDs using the same fittings and keeping the same light output, colour temperature and beam angle.
That won't be possible.

Any and all helpful and constructive advice gratefully received but please no negative comments about downlights.
I'm afraid you don't have the right to tell people here what advice they may or may not give.

At least I don't think that it's possible that an elephant could have learned to read and write English, had a keyboard and mouse adapted so it could use them, learned to use the internet and learned to do electrical work (presumably with a set of specially adapted tools).

use your imagination .................

<regurgitating some of ban's old posts>

You his lap dog?

For all of five minutes. I'm not sure what would happen after that though.

Bloodshed.

Just thought it would be expedient to answering the OP question. And save BAN typing it all out again.

I think when someone comes on an asks a question, we could all save a lot of time if we simply searched what BAN has said on the subject and paste it in. Then if anyone disagrees with that we would have saved quite a lot of posting just to get to the same point.
eg

OP asks; I want save money by rewiring my own house, can anyone tell me what downlighters are best?

We could go to our WIKI-BAN and provide the answer.
Martin

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back