- Joined
- 7 Nov 2023
- Messages
- 23,952
- Reaction score
- 15,655
- Country

Yes two booked already..Time to go on a cruise then

Yes two booked already..Time to go on a cruise then
Guess I am somewhat opposite, have a few bob invested in shares which if it totally disappeared would not please me ( lost £5k when Debenhams went down the pan, cost of a cruise, mine not yours, grrr) but have enough in bog standard savings and pensions to carry on with life, just a smaller inheritance for the kids I guess. Value of portfolio has increased by16% over the last 12 months, 12months prior to Trump coming in it returned 27% so it just goes to show how things can change (its fun watching figures bounce around - NOT) . Would like to go a step further and trade like Justin but we all have a level of risk that we are prepared to go to, especially if you don't understand what you are doing. Interestingly an old works pension that I have not yet accessed has gone up by 22% in the last year so obviously they are better at investing than me although 20% or more will disappear in tax when I eventually draw on it. Whats that that they say about money makes the world go round.I am going to leave my money in the bank, I don't want to risk losing any of it. I dont mind spending it but to lose it I would be gutted.
No, gold is not an investment, it is a store of value.So is britannia and sovereigns a good investment ?
But better to have than have not whether it be a little or a lotYes yes yes.
Lots of people do and they are very happy with that arrangement. If I was happier with something else, I’d do it. All the money in the world can’t bring you health or happiness but there’s plenty that think it’s the be all and end all. It isn’t.
Bugger, I have come to the wrong forumIf you can guarantee that investors will make a guaranteed profit without risking any of their money, you’re wasting you time spouting off on a plumbers forum
That's a common, and quite interesting point.I am going to leave my money in the bank, I don't want to risk losing any of it. I dont mind spending it but to lose it I would be gutted.
Over 20 years, you can confidently predict that inflation will erode the value of cash holdings, and growth, plus retained earnings, will increase the value of asset-backed securities.So where should I put my son's 5k and 100 a month for 20 years, assuming I live that long![]()
So what would you do?Over 20 years, you can confidently predict that inflation will erode the value of cash holdings, and growth, plus retained earnings, will increase the value of asset-backed securities.
What does bring you health and happiness? despite all the advice from doctors, fitness trainers etc from one who has had a life of playing rugby, football, squash, et al I have had major cancer surgery (I'll blame that on alcohol and red meat), heart attack, chronic kidney disease (what ever that is) and just developing arthritis in one of my knees so I reckon health is more down to genes and luck. Happiness is relative, who wants to spend all day in a garden looking for weeds , cutting the grass and hedges etc etc, or doing diy around the house or going out drinking, or walking or playing the stock markets, some people do so each to their own at the end of the dayHas it bought you health and happiness?
Stock market in some shape or form, if it does good or bad you may not be here to see it so don't worry about it and your lad should be happy with any monies he gets as its free to himSo where should I put my son's 5k and 100 a month for 20 years, assuming I live that long![]()
I’m happy with a little and not worrying whether it will disappear dependant on the state of the stock market. I don’t need a lot so I can do without the worry of chasing it.But better to have than have not whether it be a little or a lot
I am not you.So what would you do?