Investment

Do you have a work place pension where they match what you put in? If so, why not invest the maximum they will match, then take a large (hopefully tax free) lump sum when you can? Free money
that was my idea, I am uncertain if they would match that amount.
 
I had a private pension for 30 odd years which sent me a review every 3 months. They had the global allocation fund and a few sectors you could choose %s between, like Usa, Europe, Japan, far east ex Japan,, etc. Biasing towards the more attractive sectors, just a couple iirc, but with the emphasis changing. It ended up with double the gain of the global one and the managed one.
Bottom line, don't try to pick and forget , keep an eye on it. If you look at which sectors have won over the decades, they're USA, and Technology, with Far East up there usually. Energy, etc have had their years.

Reminder, if you decide to put SOME amount in stocks, ANY GAIN up to 3k will be within the tax free cgt band.
 
Even if they didn't it would be a better home for your spare money.

How many premium bonds have you got, and how much cash in your ISA account?
 
Even if they didn't it would be a better home for your spare money.

How many premium bonds have you got, and how much cash in your ISA account?
0. I have a current account and a savings account and a safe with cash for a rainy day.
 
I had a private pension for 30 odd years which sent me a review every 3 months. They had the global allocation fund and a few sectors you could choose %s between, like Usa, Europe, Japan, far east ex Japan,, etc. Biasing towards the more attractive sectors, just a couple iirc, but with the emphasis changing. It ended up with double the gain of the global one and the managed one.
Bottom line, don't try to pick and forget , keep an eye on it. If you look at which sectors have won over the decades, they're USA, and Technology, with Far East up there usually. Energy, etc have had their years.

Reminder, if you decide to put SOME amount in stocks, ANY GAIN up to 3k will be within the tax free cgt band.
Here is my problem, that all sounds awfully complicated to me. You are obviously in a different league when it comes to this stuff, like MBK, Mottie and JohnD, you understand these things, I simply do not.
 
Thank you, the country needs people like you paying lots of tax.
Well I don't know any different. I am financially secure with a good regular income and money has never been an issue to me, Only through threads on here I feel I might be doing something wrong.
 
Oh yeah, ask AI things like how much you need to save to get how much at age 60 etc. They are vg.
Also things like fees at different platforms. I have used half a dozen. Note that Invest Engine and Trading 212 do not have OEIC funds. Some of those are best. They do have many of the Vanguard funds.
 
FFS, if you like saving cash, just open a cash ISA and buy some premium bonds.

If you can't be arsed to do anything else, top up your pension contributions. Nobody else gives you a free 25% extra on top of what you pay in.
 
Oh yeah, ask AI things like how much you need to save to get how much at age 60 etc. They are vg.
Also things like fees at different platforms. I have used half a dozen. Note that Invest Engine and Trading 212 do not have OEIC funds. Some of those are best. They do have many of the Vanguard funds.
You lost me on OEIC and Vangaurd funds.
 
FFS, if you like saving cash, just open a cash ISA and buy some premium bonds.

If you can't be arsed to do anything else, top up your pension contributions. Nobody else gives you a free 25% extra on top of what you pay in.
Well its not that I cant be arsed John, I cannot suddenly don a pair of braces and a stripey shirt and start as an investor in stocks and shares.
 
Oh yeah, ask AI things like how much you need to save to get how much at age 60 etc. They are vg.
Also things like fees at different platforms. I have used half a dozen. Note that Invest Engine and Trading 212 do not have OEIC funds. Some of those are best. They do have many of the Vanguard funds.
If I gave you 5k and 100 a month and said invest that for me and I'll see you in 2046 what would you do?
 
Back
Top