IP address

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
On another thread a mod mentioned someone had multiple accounts at the same IP address. Not being too computer tecish, I would like to know, is the IP address unique to a person, a computer or a property,ie, if 2 or more people were using different computers in the same house sharing wifi,or 2 or more sharing a PC, would IP's be the same ?

Sponsored Links
On another thread a mod mentioned someone had multiple accounts at the same IP address. Not being too computer tecish, I would like to know, is the IP address unique to a person, a computer or a property,ie, if 2 or more people were using different computers in the same house sharing wifi, would IP's be the same ?

Most people won't have a internet visible fixed IP address for a long time, but each device within a property will have a different internal, I.e. within their house address, but will for a time have the same internet visible IP address.

Sponsored Links
No it won't, each device within your house will be given a unique IP address by the router, otherwise you'd see everyone's else's info, not just yours.

Each broadband or fibre router, when it connects via its service provider, will be allocated a WAN IP, from a range of numbers allocated to that particular provider - a Public IP. The provider can give you a dynamic Public WAN IP address, but exceptionally some allow you a fixed or static address. Everyone connected to your internet service via your wired or wifi LAN, will show to external services that WAN address. So any posting you make to any forum, will include your WAN IP address, even dynamically allocated IP's tend to stick, especially if your router is left on 24/7. I have a range of special WAN IP numbers permanently allocated to me, in the 44.xxx.xxx.xxx range. Plusnet has IP's beginning with 51.?.?.?

It is possible to disguise or spoof your, by running your connection via VPN, or Virtual Private Network. VPN servers act as intermediaries, translating your genuine WAN IP to another IP, but you pay for the service.

Your router allocates internal LAN IP addresses. Again these can be static, or dynamically allocated IP addresses. So I know what IP to print to, I have my printers on static addresses. Likewise with an IP camera. Internal LAN IP's are usually in the range of 192.?.?.?. or 10.?.?.?.

Each broadband or fibre router, when it connects via its service provider, will be allocated a WAN IP, from a range of numbers allocated to that particular provider - a Public IP. The provider can give you a dynamic Public WAN IP address, but exceptionally some allow you a fixed or static address. Everyone connected to your internet service via your wired or wifi LAN, will show to external services that WAN address. So any posting you make to any forum, will include your WAN IP address, even dynamically allocated IP's tend to stick, especially if your router is left on 24/7. I have a range of special WAN IP numbers permanently allocated to me, in the 44.xxx.xxx.xxx range. Plusnet has IP's beginning with 51.?.?.?

It is possible to disguise or spoof your, by running your connection via VPN, or Virtual Private Network. VPN servers act as intermediaries, translating your genuine WAN IP to another IP, but you pay for the service.

Your router allocates internal LAN IP addresses. Again these can be static, or dynamically allocated IP addresses. So I know what IP to print to, I have my printers on static addresses. Likewise with an IP camera. Internal LAN IP's are usually in the range of 192.?.?.?. or 10.?.?.?.

To quote Andy from little Britain, "yeah I know"

Everyone agrees here. Yes multiple people can share the same IP address (as seen by the moderators). There's more details but that's not important to the original question.

On another thread a mod mentioned someone had multiple accounts at the same IP address. Not being too computer tecish, I would like to know, is the IP address unique to a person, a computer or a property,ie, if 2 or more people were using different computers in the same house sharing wifi,or 2 or more sharing a PC, would IP's be the same ?
Are you worried Hate?

If you're with the same broadband provider as others on the fora, then there's a reasonable chance you'll pick up another members IP address occasionally.

If you're with the same broadband provider as others on the fora, then there's a reasonable chance you'll pick up another members IP address occasionally.
It's possible, similar to the 'Birthday problem'. It'd be interesting to see any serious analysis of that though, I suspect the IP addresses you get aren't fully random even within an ISPs pool. That could turn it to virtually impossible to dead certain. Or vice versa.

If I were a mod I'd be looking for matching IPs within the same time frame and similar syntax etc.

Sponsored Links
Back