IP Addresses thread - strangely turns to a God thread!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am seeking some help for someone I know, regarding his Hotmail account.

he got locked out by a hacker who may have hijacked his account and locked him out after changing passwords, security questions and editing out his mobile number as none of these has helped my friend to get his account restored.

Microsoft asked him to provide his IP Address.

Now correct me if I am wrong, most private individuals do not have static IP addresses, so how would one go about convincing Microsoft to restore his account without taking dramatic steps like sending attested copies of his ID, or other material that can prove his ownership of his account.

So far my friend sent them an IP address, but Microsoft have replied that they could not match it with any of his previous data on their record!

crazy!

Sponsored Links
The ISP should be able to provide a static IP address.

Thanks mate, so do you mean to say that his ISP (Talk Talk) should be able provide a static address? if so what is then that other IP address when you go to a site which lets you fi8nd what your IP address is? as I have seen it give out different addresses each time you ask after a few hours it would be a different address.

Thanks mate, so do you mean to say that his ISP (Talk Talk) should be able provide a static address? if so what is then that other IP address when you go to a site which lets you fi8nd what your IP address is? as I have seen it give out different addresses each time you ask after a few hours it would be a different address.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhh! Talk Talk. Say no more.

Sponsored Links
The ISP keeps logs of which customer was using what IP address at any given time. TalkTalk will have these records going back years. Technically they could provide these logs for your friend detailing every IP address he's ever been assigned and when, whether you can practically get them to do so is another matter entirely. You'd probably have a greater chance of success requesting it via the member's forum rather than telephone support.

Thanks GeeTee, All things that can possibly go wrong went wrong with this guy, too many to even start writing about, it would probably fill two full pages .
Pleading with Microsoft to restore his Hotmail account was just completely futile, the matter was handed over to escalation agents, and their response was absolutely rubbish, in many of their replies they came after 5 days just say be patient we are looking into it, then asked him to provide them with his IP Address, which he did, unfortunately he got two different addresses in about an hour, as the addresses are dynamic. They failed to make a match against their records, so basically told us that they cannot go any further!

Modern Age and Hotmail and that from Microsoft....speaks for itself!

Even I have learnt a lesson from this, if your email account gets stolen/hacked/hijacked, have safety measures in place, storing all your contacts list as I do mine on AOL can be a disaster, but if you store them on your computer's HD, that can crash too, a good thing would be to forward all important emails to another secondary account with another domain.

Some b'stard hacked my Hotmail a/c a while back and deleted all my inbox and sent emails. Luckily they didn't change passwords or deny me access. Still don't know how they did it.

You are all on the wrong track I'm afraid.

They will be asking for the IP address, so they can check if its the same or close to the IP address most often used to access the account. They can then look and see if the user at the IP address that changed the details was somewhere completely different.

You are all on the wrong track I'm afraid.

They will be asking for the IP address, so they can check if its the same or close to the IP address most often used to access the account. They can then look and see if the user at the IP address that changed the details was somewhere completely different.
well I provided them with 2 IP Addresses about say 2 hours apart from the same location, i.e. from the guy's home address, but they said it did not match.

I had my twitter account hacked.... similar user name to here and similar password as would be held by DIYnot (not anymore though)...

So can't point any fingers, but I think I know who it was.... and they'll be reading this !!!!!

Sad puppy.. !

As for your question Mike from London, why don't you ask god? he knows everything, surely !!!???

I had my twitter account hacked.... similar user name to here and similar password as would be held by DIYnot (not anymore though)...

So can't point any fingers, but I think I know who it was.... and they'll be reading this !!!!!

Sad puppy.. !

As for your question Mike from London, why don't you ask god? he knows everything, surely !!!???

I know who it is, that is not the point, infact god gave me so much sense to work that out, and he gave you half the brains to come up with comments like that , We know it is that bloke's own daughter hijacked it to stop him getting stressed!

The point is why wouldn't then Microsoft acknowledge the genuine request to override her password and issue us with a temporary one.

This is where I will have to ask God's help as scientific idiots haven't got a single clue!

Sad puppy.. !

I know who it is, that is not the point, infact god gave me so much sense to work that out, and he gave you half the brains to come up with comments like that , We know it is that bloke's own daughter hijacked it to stop him getting stressed!

The point is why wouldn't then Microsoft acknowledge the genuine request to override her password and issue us with a temporary one.

This is where I will have to ask God's help as scientific idiots haven't got a single clue!

The real point is why can't god help us cure cancer !!!??????

let me have a go at answering my own question Mike..... THERE IS NO FOOKIN GOD !!!!!!

There.... hope that helps !!!!

Yet you'll spout some twaddle, and make yourself believe again, in a phantom "carer" which is proven to not care about you at all......

pray for some lottery numbers Mike !!

Sad puppy.. !

The real point is why can't god help us cure cancer !!!??????

Easy, God said stop smoking that Pot!

any ways here is how Microsoft checks one's id when signing in, unfortunately i can see where we went wrong, we did not use his regular PC, instead I used my laptop for him as his PC was not connected,he has been moving rooms. so when i used my laptop, this would have given them different OS, version, and possibly that 64bit number on my computer may be different to the one stored on his browser.

Signing into software, sites or services with your Microsoft account.
When you sign into a site or service using your Microsoft account, we collect certain information in order to verify your identity on behalf of the site or service, to protect you from malicious account usage, and to protect the efficiency and security of the Microsoft account service. For instance, when you sign in, the Microsoft account service receives and logs your credentials and other information, such as the 64-bit unique ID number assigned to your credentials, your IP address, your web browser version and a time and date. Further, if you use a Microsoft account to sign into a device or into software that is installed on a device, a random unique ID is assigned to the device; this random unique ID will be sent as part of your credentials to the Microsoft account service when you subsequently sign into a site or service with your Microsoft account. The Microsoft account service sends the following information to the site or service that you have signed into: a unique ID number that permits the site or service to determine whether you are the same person from one sign-in session to the next; the version number assigned to your account (a new number is assigned each time you change your sign-in information); whether your email address has been confirmed; and whether your account has been deactivated.

So Mike, you're god fearing I suspect, and I am not ! so how does god see me? what's my role on this planet? and why does god allow me to challenge your beliefs?

Surely the amount of evidence for a god lies in the region of the evidence for a Loch Ness monster?... it's about belief only !!!

And why am I ranting?... well only because it you god fearing idiots that are causing most of the worlds problems!!!

There are 4000 gods... you love one of them.... I think you're all idiots... surely one of those gods should strike me down?

No! still here !!

Sponsored Links
Back