Is a Dremel worth Buying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is a Dremel worth buying?

What sort of stuff can you use them for?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Look at all the grinding/ buffing wheels, cutting discs etc and decide for yourself where you might use one. I brought the cheaper B&D type and Im very happy with it.

I too ask myself the same question.

When I look at the consumables that Dremel sell, they often look a tad flimsy.

I have no problem with the principle but I often wonder if a cut off tool and a dedicated die grinder would be the better, but more expensive option.

I bought one to make small recesses in rubber weather strips for a classic car (so the clips could sit in the strips better). Apart from this I've not found many uses for it and almost regret spending the money. In the year I have had it, I've:

- Cut down a bolt
- Trimmed a piece of timber beading which was in-situ and difficult to access.
- Cut a small section out of an alumunium greenhouse frame

They're good for small/tight spaces, but that's about it.

Sponsored Links
I carved a lot of signs on wooden boards.
I even personalised the boss wooden kitchen utensils without telling her.
Fortunately she liked it.
Best use I found for it is perfectly cut the corrugated roofing boards, the filmsy transparent ones which shatter as soon as you look at them.
And sand holes in wood, especially when the fingers don't fit in them.

i have one , purchased a full kit when it was reduced by £98 on amazon, with 6 tools , and also offers on other kit

I have used a lot for cutting down some bolts, removing bolts , sharpening , drilled a small hole for a toy.. and various other things i cannot remember

A lot of money , it was only because of the offers i took the plunge

I needed something quickly, to do some intricate cutting in a tight space - I bought the Guild set from Argos:
Cheap and cheerful, but did the job.
Given the amount of use I get out of it, I could never have justified the extra cost of a Dremel.

I find you go through the discs rather quickly, especially cutting through the likes of a 6mm bolt. Not bad for doing intricate stuff but I wouldn't buy top brand unless I was a dedicated hobbyist.
I was lucky to pick up a cheaper version at a car booty last year. Complete with about 120 attachments for a tenner. The woman had bought it for her husband for his birthday, but he hadn't used it in the 12 months he had had it so she stuck it on her stall. LOL

I've wanted one for years, especially before the multitool and thin angle grinder blades became popular, now I can't see the point of them, having said that, it only needs to complete one "impossible" repair that you couldn't otherwise do to pay for itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back