Is Black enamel steel conduit - OK in the floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm relocating a cooker/hob to an island in the kitchen.

Is Black enamel steel conduit - OK in the floor?
By floor I mean screed, I will level and then tile over the top.

I read that the Galv stuff is class 4 protection and the B/E is class 2.

Additionally,

Is 20mm conduit OK to run a single 6mm T&E cable (it's about 2 meters worth of conduit)

Can I run my 2m length of conduit at a slight angle (as the crow flies) to avoid having to put a bend in?

Sponsored Links
Use galv. It go at angles. Are you not bending it up the wall(s)? If so, 6mm is going to be tight in the tube. With no bends, 6mm would be ok, but still very snug. There is no factors in the OSG for sheathed cables in conduit/trunk, only singles.

Use galv. It go at angles. Are you not bending it up the wall(s)? If so, 6mm is going to be tight in the tube. With no bends, 6mm would be ok, but still very snug. There is no factors in the OSG for sheathed cables in conduit/trunk, only singles.

I'll go with a length of 25mm galv conduit.

So angle is OK? If 12 o clock is straight ahead then I need to be at 1 o clock to reach my island without a bend.

The cable will travel down the inside of a stud wall. emerging at floor level, where it will meet the new galv conduit. Onwards at a slight angle for 2 metres to the island. This time emerging under the oven housing unit.

Sponsored Links
Alls good, but earth the conduit! This would be best done by terminating the conduit to a trough box, metal adaptable box or a 47mm deep metal back box (they usually have a 25mm hole). This box would be best fixed into the stud wall with a blank plate (or isolator) in it. You would then need to pull 1 90 deg bend with a bending machine.

Assming the depth is acceptable, otherwise earthed conduit is the best solution.

Not sure it has to be earthed, but the cable has to be protected, and plastic won't do that.

Monsoon - 2 questions:

you're doing this from scratch, so why not:

1) Use larger conduit?

2) Use singles, not T/E?

Thanks Chaps for the feedback.

I've decided to *can* the idea of moving the hob to the breakfast bar.

The hob was the only reason for running the conduit . I already have power from the ring main there, so I can have a tumble dryer and oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back