Is Britool still good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found a set of flexi ratchet handles on ebay and for the price, I'd say are a bargain!

Just wondering if Britool is still British manufactured or contracted out to lands far and wide?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I have some facom spanners, seem well made to me, they haven't had much punishment though.

I have a fair bit of Halfords Professional kit at home, not too bad.

All my ratchets are Snap-on though, oldest one is 20 years old and still perfect.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments Gents!

I was on a Snap On van last week and the 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets are getting on for £200. So I thought a couple of Britool flexi ratchets for £45 is a bargain if the same quality as years gone by.

Yep they've gone silly prices now, still have offers on now and again though.

Bought their 3 ton low entry Trolley jack for £150 a while back, bargain!.

I have a fair bit of Halfords Professional kit at home, not too bad.

All my ratchets are Snap-on though, oldest one is 20 years old and still perfect.
I’ve got a 3/8 drive snap-on ratchet that must be over 40 years old. It doesn’t get used much these days. I gave it a bit oil oil and some exercise last week and put it back in the toolbox.

Be still got some Bristol spanner’s that I bought when starting my apprenticeship in 1974. Mind you, they’re all A/F so not been used for years!

Be still got some Bristol spanner’s that I bought when starting my apprenticeship in 1974. Mind you, they’re all A/F so not been used for years!
Oh my early Britool stuff was AF and Metric. AF was for the hgv stuff and metric for the cars.

Britool is no more afaik all the new stuff is fake sh.t I believe. I could be wrong.

I pick up older Britool stuff from Ebay. And some absolute bargains on classifieds. My steal of the century was a set of bluepoint stubby ratchet spanners for 50quid I kid you not.

Halfords Pro range for me.....no way I'd be shelling out £200 for a ratchet :eek:
Mind you, I've gone through two 1/4" drive ratchets and 1 3/8 drive torx bit, replaced with Facom.
John :)

This is my collection of over 45 years worth of 10mm spanners. Yes, they are all mine, don't ask lol. I also have a collection of 10mm brake pipe spanners.
The Britool spanners vary in age from a few years to 45ish years, the oldest is at the top. As you can see they are all slightly different but, I would say that the oldest one at the top is no better made than any of the others.
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

I had some Halfords ratchets and upgraded to the Britool ones you've linked to (but without the flex head). Nicer to hold (grip) and 72 teeth is nice.

It's not Snap-On, but I'm happy.

Having looked at the options for swivel ratchets, Britool/Facom Expert, both tool distribution labels for the same products it seems, make a hinged swivel head design ratchet which to me, is a better option for tight spaces.

The 3/8 Facom

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Britool Master AF socket set - metal boxed - bought at trade price in 1968' ish
Had a hammering at times - Useful addition was the universal joint which I found on the road whilst driving !!
-0-

Sponsored Links
Back