Is China the main supplier of PPE equipment?

Sponsored Links
Clarks mainly, but I do have some British shoes: Loakes and Barkers, which I've had for years and will last forever because you can have them repaired, unlike the Clarks. I have some tailor made shoes which are great, and I would eventually like to have all my shoes custom made. I also have some clogs, British made of course, although nobody wears these anymore except for clog dancing. Perhaps bringing back clogs could save us?

When was the last time you bought a pair of Clarks shoes Andy.
Clarks stopped making British shoes in 2006.

Closure of the company's remaining manufacturing interests meant that the last Clarks UK factory ceased production in 2005 followed by the last "K" factory in 2006.[33][34][35] Production was relocated off-shore, using third party factories, predominantly located in Asia.

When was the last time you bought a pair of Clarks shoes Andy.
Clarks stopped making British shoes in 2006.

They only stopped manufacturing in recent months, certainly the last 12 months. 2006 is probably when they started importing from China and scaled back production in Somerset.

Sponsored Links
They only stopped manufacturing in recent months, certainly the last 12 months. 2006 is probably when they started importing from China and scaled back production in Somerset.
Where was the factory located? A small unit was opened in Street in 2017/8 but only lasted a year

2006 as Vinty already said, Doodles plant in Millom I was there when it closed and switched off most of the power apart from alarms and lights

I still buy Clarks, I don't think the quality has suffered, pretty strict QC in China and in UK

The famous English brand names are mostly made in India now.

Including most Loakes and I think Barkers and Jones.

I have some Indian ones and the price reflects it, the design and style seem quite good and the price is lower. You have to search hard to see which ranges are made in England

The English Loakes start at around £250

Last edited:
Norton M/Cycles has just been bought by an Indian company :eek:

jeez us whats the world coming to

Norton ffs

Like Enfield.

And Jaguar

And Land Rover.

Enfield not Royal Enfield ;)

but Norton :eek: :eek:

I own a Norton :cool: used to own a royal enfield as well :cool:

and the worst of it the design and tooling for the Norton 961 engine has been flogged to the Chinese :eek:

jeez us wept

There is a Jones near me and I just looked at one of their examples at around £280.

The description says "Quality hand crafted shoemaking at its best from Joseph Cheaney & Sons of Northamptonshire."

It also says "Charles Goodyear Jr. patented the Goodyear Welt sewing machine in 1871, in Northampton, the epicentre of the footwear industry. Considered the hallmark of well-made shoes, the Goodyear Welt is synonymous with high-quality, longevity and Great British craftsmanship."

But it does not actually say "made in...."

Edit
I kept looking, and some of the Barkers actually say "made in Northampton" on the listing.

Last edited:
The last (and will remain the last) pair of Clarkes shoes I bought ended up being absolute crap.
Looking in the store a few years ago they still looked like cheap crap.

Pity, I always found them to be comfortable and long lasting beforehand.

Sponsored Links
Back