Is China the main supplier of PPE equipment?

Foreigners

"In February Priti Patel, the home secretary (interior minister), dismissed the concerns of British companies that the new regime would lead to damaging labour shortages, saying there were more than 8m “economically inactive” Britons who could fill the jobs.

What she omitted to say was that 2.2m of these people were students, 2.1m were long-term sick people and 1.9m were looking after families.

During the pandemic, Britons have woken up to the fact that vital sectors such as the National Health Service, home care, farming and food processing are operating thanks in no small measure to low-paid EU and non-European workers of precisely the kind whose numbers Ms Patel’s proposals are intended to restrict."

FT

"However, Brexit is the glue that holds together Mr Johnson’s government, and strident rhetoric and outright lies about immigration were part of the formula that won the UK’s 2016 referendum for the pro-Brexit forces.

During the referendum campaign these forces fanned the perception that had arisen, in the years when the UK was open to free movement of EU citizens, that such workers were to blame for depressed wages, housing shortages and pressure on public services."

Sponsored Links
Simple facts:
we need trade to survive
we need immigration to survive

Deniers really haven't a Scooby what they're talking about.

Them's the ones. You will find thousands of them - exhausted from tirelessly saving UK lives in UK hospitals. Would you like the supply of foreign workers to suddenly cease?

Well may be wait till this flu caper is over

No point in being to hasty :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

The health minister went though the PPE supply locally today. Some "companies" came into existence remarkably recently, some want cash. Some are middlemen. As this sort of thing will go on he does have a point. They are trying to deal directly with manufactures. Things are different if they can actually make stuff and generally that seems to be being sold directly to hospitals.

Sponsored Links
Over 8000 private company's have applied or are offering to Make??? The kit

I assume they all. Need to be checked out

Over 8000 private company's have applied or are offering to Make??? The kit

I assume they all. Need to be checked out

That's the point he was making. They showed a couple on the TV. One had ordered X and they had arrived. From where, correct spec, well made etc? Another was rather strange. Couple of machines but why did I think they had been plonked down and why no people around. It looked like some one had obtained some machines to me. Some will see it as a money making opportunity and others will be genuine. What he essentially said is no middle men as direct supplies are more regular. Suppose they then know exactly what will arrive but apparently quantities of each can vary.

Excuse or fact - don't know. The rest of C4 was pretty damming as far as general handling of the pandemic was concerned. If what came out is accurate from an ex chief scientific adviser and another expert are entirely correct Borris is f#cked if any enquiry ever gets down to real facts. It seems SAGE meeting minutes are not available and probably wont be. Actually open gov means they should be on the web. Members names are also not available nor are they on one of the pandemic groups that support them. Those are the people who advised and reasoned out the flu plan. The 2016 pandemic plan isn't available.

Last edited:
I'm sure Arthur has something in his lockup they can buy. "Nice little earner!"

That's the inference. PM questions was on TV today. Pointed questions as would be expected. One of them was why were some UK companies exporting PPE. So looks like some are. An earlier reply from a maker was we have no choice - only mentioned on the web. I'd assume they have a contract? Pass

Why do X virus tests when a lot more can be done. Recent TV interviews mentioned rolling out a postal service. Seemed to be aimed at homes and nhs staff without a car etc or can't use drive through. Obviously the post office can't cope or another problem or could have been done weeks ago. Maybe they haven't got enough stamps and packaging in stock. Swabs, tubes, reagents - are ok I assume.

Late lock down. Reason - scientific advice as usual. Not really defensible any more so reply was so you know more than them then - usual insult style house of commons reply when they can't defend what they have done. Scientific scapegoat prepared.

Despite comments that the UK had joined the EU bulk buy it's been denied again.

First test of the vaccine tomorrow - 2 people initially. One gets the real one, other person gets one for something else. More people later after testing them for health etc. One SARS vaccine made the infection worse so some risk of the same happening but a only a theoretical consideration.

OK, I sit corrected!

What I meant was that wealth trickles down from the very wealthy to the less wealthy.

no, wealth trickles up from the poor and the middle to the most wealthy.

"Spain seeks refund for defective coronavirus tests, after replacement kits also prove faulty.
The Health Ministry has canceled an entire order of antigen kits from Chinese company Bioeasy, after already sending back a first batch"

https://english.elpais.com/society/...replacement-kits-also-found-to-be-faulty.html

So, first the chinese cause it, then try and flog the world PPE and tests, and these don't work so we have to buy more off them. Conspiracy much?

"Spain seeks refund for defective coronavirus tests, after replacement kits also prove faulty.
The Health Ministry has canceled an entire order of antigen kits from Chinese company Bioeasy, after already sending back a first batch"

https://english.elpais.com/society/...replacement-kits-also-found-to-be-faulty.html

So, first the chinese cause it, then try and flog the world PPE and tests, and these don't work so we have to buy more off them. Conspiracy much?

The chinese cannot be trusted

Canada had a sub standard batch of kit from China as well

The chinese cannot be trusted

Canada had a sub standard batch of kit from China as well

At least they got the 'rona right (y)

I think these returns etc are more disappointment than anything else. There was a hope that the antibody test would improve but lots were bought knowing they aren't accurate enough.

Anyway seems Germany is more than thinking of using them. The problem is that many people are immune to a coronavirus and picking out just cv19 is proving to be rather difficult. A TV reporter demonstrated one some time ago - showed him as immune and as far as he knew he hadn't had it, ;) Must be fun sorting that problem out.

The UK bought a lot and pre ordered a lot more. The preorders may be the ones that are being shouted about. One thing is 100% certain they knew the original purchase wasn't good enough.

There is some breaking news on testing but doesn't really mention what they will be doing. Maybe more in today's brief.

Sponsored Links
Back