Is Duct tape mixed with water toxic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am sensitive to many synthetic and organic chemicals in the environment. My landlord painted the Porsche outside my window and I was reacting to it so I covered it in duct tape. It stopped the emission and has been working for me although the rain does cause the tape to come up somewhat.

Anyway I have read that duct tape mixed with water is toxic. Something about Difluoroethane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1-Difluoroethane ). Am I correct in thinking when the rain water mixes with duct tape underneath part it will create this gas which will the enter my room? I have read that this gas can be fatal. Is this correct or is it only lethal when you drink water mixed with duct tape.

Please let me know this could be fatal. I have no other quick way to rid myself from the vocs coming in from the Porsche.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hehehehe...

Reminds me of a very old joke...

Cut to the punchline - I finished painting the porch. And by the way it ain't a porch it's a Ferrari.

You covered his Porsche with duct tape? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I am sensitive to many synthetic and organic chemicals in the environment. My landlord painted the Porsche outside my window and I was reacting to it so I covered it in duct tape. It stopped the emission and has been working for me although the rain does cause the tape to come up somewhat.

Anyway I have read that duct tape mixed with water is toxic. Something about Difluoroethane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1-Difluoroethane ). Am I correct in thinking when the rain water mixes with duct tape underneath part it will create this gas which will the enter my room? I have read that this gas can be fatal. Is this correct or is it only lethal when you drink water mixed with duct tape.

Please let me know this could be fatal. I have no other quick way to rid myself from the vocs coming in from the Porsche.

Thanks.

Have you made a will?

I am sensitive to many synthetic and organic chemicals in the environment.
Deary me you are a little precious aren't you.

How do you manage to spend a day in our capital?

Vautex-Elite-S.jpg

There doesn't seem to be a fat lot on the internet about it from my admittly brief search. However , it does seem some duct tape is made with difluoroethane which is toxic when mixed with water. That in itself might be a good reason not to use ones teeth to tear tape. Difluoroethane seems to have a low boiling point so at least in theory the gas could build up and cause you problems. I'm assuming that you applied the tape externally if the rain can get to it? I'd also assume the Porsche/porch is now cured so your best course of action would probably be to remove the tape and for piece of mind remove any tape from inside your home or at least keep it in a sealed airtight container.

Deary me you are a little precious aren't you.
How do you manage to spend a day in our capital?

You jest but its no fun being sensitive to some of the rubbish that is pumped into our environment.

Having Asthma I too am sensitive to airborn irritants.

A woman at work wears far too much perfume, I dare not go into her office or I will be sneezing and have sniffles all day.

I cant do DIY that includes making lots of dust or be in the same room as a functioning vacuum cleaner.

Jest, but its not fun being on this end of it.

I'll try that one about the vacuuming on the wife, don't think she will believe me though.
:LOL:

Having Asthma I too am sensitive to airborn irritants.

I read that in a hurry and thought WTF?!?!?... Airborne Infants??

My dyslexia must be getting worse with age...

I'm sensitive to those too, they really get up my nose :)

Aw come on!

There are medicines available to counter most irritants. Some people just choose to 'milk' their ailments for all they are worth.

So your answer is that we should take medication all our life??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back