Is it ok to put an extractor fan through a lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our electrician has fitted a bathroom extractor fan above the bathroom window. The hole for the fan starts a few cm above the window, which means that the bottom part of the hole (about half of it) has been drilled through the concrete lintel. The electrician says this is ok and there's no risk of structural damage as the hole is made towards the edge of the window. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Our electrician has fitted a bathroom extractor fan above the bathroom window. The hole for the fan starts a few cm above the window, which means that the bottom part of the hole (about half of it) has been drilled through the concrete lintel. The electrician says this is ok and there's no risk of structural damage as the hole is made towards the edge of the window. Is this correct?
No it's not correct. Can you post a piccie? Only a nutter would attempt to drill a hole directly above an opening.

What are the structural engineering qualifications of this electrician to make such a bold statement? If more qualified than my spaniel, then it may be OK.

Can we find out where he buys his core drills from or does he use semtex?

Sponsored Links
thank you for your prompt replies. Photos attached. Electrician is still here. House covered in dust.

Attachments

• lintel1.jpeg
    lintel1.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 130
  • lintel 2.jpg
    lintel 2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 131
That's more than a "few cm" and probably clears the lintel?

That's more than a "few cm" and probably clears the lintel?
That depends on how thick the lintel is and how much plaster material there is filling out the header. It could be a 140mm deep fella if there is a roof bearing wall plate above.

Fair comment. I should think a lintel would be a nightmare to core drill? Only way really is to clean the hole and take a pic of the material at the bottom?

Is the bathroom external wall on a gable elevation or is there a soffit overhang? Looks like that would exit into the eaves if the latter....:unsure:
Oh, I don’t think I know what all these words mean but I think the fan exits through the wooden overhang

Fair comment. I should think a lintel would be a nightmare to core drill? Only way really is to clean the hole and take a pic of the material at the bottom?
Material at the bottom and half way up is Concrete, material at the top of the hole is brick

Does sound like a bit of the lintel has been removed if you can see concrete! What is above and how wide is the window?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back