Is it possible to edit a post title

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Being lousy at typing I have managed to create a number of posts with mis-spelt and garbled titles. Thankfully for the most part the users of the forum get passed that, but i would like to correct them while they are still live and make it easier for all replying.

Is it possible, or do I need to ask a mod to do it (in which case there's no pointin wasting their time)?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why, when you reply to a topic, does the topic title not appear anywhere? And why is there a subject box below "Post a reply"

The first is often useful; the second unnecessary - and you get strange entries!

Also, why do you have to open the topic in another window to be able to read earlier pages?

Regarding the topic title not appearing, that's a fair point, it certainly wouldn't harm, I will look at adding it in.

The post subject box, is I agree not always useful :)

I presume when you say about opening the topic in another window to read earlier pages you are referring to the Topic review box when you are replying. This is something that could be improved in the future, but its current operation is based on the fact that a topic could have a large number of replies - extreme eg. Word Association - 9325 replies. Every one of these replies being loaded in the one page would cause extreme problems as you can imagine.

Regarding the topic title not appearing, that's a fair point, it certainly wouldn't harm, I will look at adding it in.

The post subject box, is I agree not always useful :)
Thanks. Adding the topic title would be welcome, as would removing the subject box.

I presume when you say about opening the topic in another window to read earlier pages you are referring to the Topic review box when you are replying. This is something that could be improved in the future, but its current operation is based on the fact that a topic could have a large number of replies - extreme eg. Word Association - 9325 replies. Every one of these replies being loaded in the one page would cause extreme problems as you can imagine.
I take the point about loading in one page. Why not allow multiple pages? The other problem is that the review box assumes you are replying to something on the last page, which often is not true; particularly if the topic has run for several pages and you are picking up a point made on an earlier page.

Sponsored Links
Being lousy at typing I have managed to create a number of posts with mis-spelt and garbled titles.
Plan B:

1. Install the Google toolbar.
  2. Activate the Spelling Check button.
  3. Use it before clicking Submit.

Plan C

Use Firefox which spell checks as you write. It has already underlined Firefox in red as it does not recognise the word (twice now ;) ).

The problem with any spell checker is that it will not pick up errors such as using "there" instead of "their".

Catching Miss pilled Words with Spilling Chequer

As an extra addled service, I am going to put this posed in the Spilling Checker, where I tryst it will sale through with flying colons. In this modern ear, it is simply inexplicable to ask readers to expose themselves to misspelled swords when they have bitter things to do.

And with all the other timesaving features on my new work processor, it is in realty very easy to pit together a colon like this one and get it tight. For instants, if there is a work that is wrong, I just put the curse on it, press Delete and its Well sometimes it deletes to the end of the lion or worst yet the whole rage. Four bigger problems, there is the Cat and Paste option. If there is some test that is somewhere were you wish it where somewhere else you jest put the curse at both ends and wash it disappear. Where you want it to reappear simply bring four quarts of water to a rotting boil and throw in 112 pounds of dazed chicken. Sometimes it brings in the Cat that was Pasted yesterday.

But usually it comes out as you planned, or better. And if it doesn't, there are lots of other easy to lose options...

I take the point about loading in one page. Why not allow multiple pages? The other problem is that the review box assumes you are replying to something on the last page, which often is not true; particularly if the topic has run for several pages and you are picking up a point made on an earlier page.
Then quote the post you are replying to, and if nessecary, delete the quote from your post before you submit it.

Then quote the post you are replying to, and if necessary, delete the quote from your post before you submit it.
That's OK if you are just quoting from one post, but no help if you want to quote from multiple posts.

Thanks. Adding the topic title would be welcome, as would removing the subject box.
Why do you need to see the topic title? Don't you know what the topic is about when you're replying?

And feel free to just ignore the subject box.

Plan C

Use Firefox which spell checks as you write. It has already underlined Firefox in red as it does not recognise the word (twice now ;) ).
OK - sorry - I'm not a regular Firefox user.

Then quote the post you are replying to, and if necessary, delete the quote from your post before you submit it.
That's OK if you are just quoting from one post, but no help if you want to quote from multiple posts.
Why do you think that?

Why do you need to see the topic title? Don't you know what the topic is about when you're replying?
But sometimes the conversation has gone "off topic" and you are trying to get it back on track. The topic title is sometimes (but not always
;) )a helpful clue to remind you what the conversation is meant to be about.

and feel free to just ignore the subject box.
I know to ignore it but plenty of people do not. If you do a search by topic it uses all subject boxes, not just the original topic title. This can bring up some unusual search results.

Why do you think that?
I am thinking particularly of topics which are several pages long and you want to reply to several posts in one. You Quote from one post, but the topic review box still shows the last page. If you want to quote from another post you have to open the topic in another tab or window.

All I am suggesting is that it should be possible to read the whole topic in the Topic Review section, even if it is in multiple pages.

Sponsored Links
Back