Is my kitchen sink going to leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have remodelled our kitchen and installed a new kitchen sink. We used the plumbers putty in the kit to create a seal around the edge. The problem is, even after using the clamps to attach the sink to the counter, the top right and top left corners are lifted slightly (about 1/16 of an inch) and not flush with the countertops. I pushed even more putty into the corners hoping to create a seal, but I'm worried the opening will let water in an we'll have a rotting counter on our hands. I also tried to use some silicone, but ended up creating a really big mess and after 1/2 an hour managed to clean it off. I'm sure some of the silicone made it under the crack, but there's still an opening there. Any suggestions on how to create a water-tight seal?

Sponsored Links
Corinne said:
Any suggestions on how to create a water-tight seal?
The only way is to start again by lifting the sink up enough to put plenty of sealant in, the sink may have a slight bow, next time put plenty of sealant until the sink area start almost touching the worktop and stop there otherwise if you carry pushing down it will start to rock again.

This time make a day out of it by taking your time and remove all sealants etc....

another important point

have you sealed all exposed edges especialy round the sink cutout
i personaly brush on wood glue
you dont have to wait for it setting to mastic the sink in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back