Is one of these drills suitable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to my earlier post about sds drills and bits to do the channelling for wiring i have looked again at some drills to buy rather than hire one with the chisels and have come across these two, does anyone if they will be ok and which one would be best ( i know they are cheaper :rolleyes: ones but i will really only need them for small amounts of work )

The first ones http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...=94802-72&n=&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=0&y=0

The others http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...0001&langId=-1&catalogId=1001&productId=62026
(has this one got rotory stop + sdsplus :?: )

Sponsored Links
I've tradititionally held to the view that when it comes to tools you should buy the best you can afford, not the cheapest you can find.

And I have had some bad experiences of cheap power tools.

But.

But...

An SDS-plus drill with rotostop for £30 - it does seem hard to argue against it. It will be noisy, rough, and may well have poor balance. But £30!

As long as it lasts the duration of your project, it'll probably work out cheaper than hiring.

And no - the Argos one doesn't say it has rotostop, and without that it'll be about as much use as a Kleenex condom.

An excellent site for advice on power tools is http://www.ryobitools.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

Doesn't just cover Ryobi, but it is US-based, and so therefore is most of the info on tools (the prices will make you weep), but you do get enough UK readers to get worthwhile responses if you ask a question.

Do you really need a new drill? Is the wall so hard you cannot use your drill, a hammer and a couple of different chisels?

i will be putting in a few :confused: new sockets plus extractor fan-cooker and so on, i could use a chisel but would take me a lot longer and be a lot harder as some of the walls are concrete blocks :mad: ,

also i have noticed that the argos drill has chisels supplied would this not mean that it has roto-stop as i thought this would be required for the chisel to work.. :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
You will kill a cheap drill if you use if for drilling or chiselling concrete, plus the fact it will not be up the job and will takes ages. If there's that much concrete, then hire one and kill someone elses tool! If not, I say best get that chisel shapened ;) .

I bought a cracking SDS drill from B&Q for £49.00 (Chisel bits included) now I'm the same...buy what you can afford but at £50 I was going to give it go (knocking a few walls down) and it did the trick....

spark said:
Do you really need a new drill? Is the wall so hard you cannot use your drill, a hammer and a couple of different chisels?

Need?

NEED??
Since when did "need" come into the equation of buying tools? ;)

Id be interested in hearing your horror stories of cheap power tools Ban-All-Sheds. I have never spent more than £40 on a power tool and all have lasted me 2 years now with no probs as yet. I praise cheap power tools as for the amount of time I actually use them I don't see the point of spending a fortune. Also I look on it as should my shed get broken into I could replace the lot for £200

Well - two failures of the switch on an own-brand drill from Wickes. What really p****d me off the second time was that I was in the middle of doing something, it was a Sunday afternoon so I couldn't go and replace it, so everything came to a grinding halt.

I have a B&D jigsaw, and although it's lasted a few years, I don't use it that much, and now it's broken, and it was never very good in the first place because the blades are so flimsy.

But given that the cheap power tools are now so cheap, and the good ones are so expensive (it's not like the difference between a cheap pair of pliers and a good pair) the argument of "buy it and chuck it away" is very compelling.

And on the grounds that they were so cheap, when I was in B&Q earlier this year, and they were having a clearance sale of their own-brand power tools, I came away with a cordless drill, and a corded planer, circular saw and SDS. Cost a fraction of what De Walt/Hitachi/etc would, and at that price I won't mind if they don't have a long life. I just hope that when they go it's not at an inconvenient time....

Still think I'll buy a Bosch GST2000/GST85PBE jigsaw though.....

Scoby_Beasley said:
"need it ?" her indoors asks, "what for ?"
'COS I DO!!!!!
Assuming you mean alcohol ;) :)

I always buy the cheapest bosch tools and they lasts for years.I can make any cheap tools last longer,the reason I don't abuse it :!: example when using the electric drill take your time drilling and let the masonary drill do the drilling and if it's not drilling change the drill bit for a new one and always let the drill in & out to let the dusts out etc.The amount of people I've seen forcing the power drill because they saying the walls is hard - IT IS NOT THE ELECTRIC DRILL,IT IS EITHER THE WRONG DRILL BITS OR IT'S BLUNT :!: :LOL: The same goes for jig-saw,don't force it,let the blade do the cutting(a little tip when cutting the noise level should be the same, if the noise level start to rise then change the blade because it's blunt) as you're forcing it,then say this jig-saw is useless :!: ;)

Different people have different ideas on tools. I bought my first Bosch years ago and it's still going strong without any problems despite kicking around in the dust and rain on sites and being dropped off ladders. It's kind of nice to know that your drill will go through that wall with a 600mmx25mm without even sweating. Not all expensive brands are the same either. I've got lots of Bosch stuff but recently bought a pack of 5 DeWalt 18v tools (I only really wanted the trim-saw); they are nowhere near as good as Bosch despite the fact prices are comparable. I will not buy anything but Bosch from now on; from my experience all other tools I've had have irritating flaws. Some people probably think it's strange but you get very attached to your tools over time. To the point of prefering your knackerd old stuff to new stuff. This kind of conflicts with buying cheaper tools and just replacing it when it goes wrong.

At the start of this thread, the Screwfix SDS drill was mentioned at £29.99. Now this is a completely third hand recommendation but it came well recommended from a Pro plumber on a 'Wear it out and throw it away' basis where he could wear out two of them and still cost less than a good one. It was indeed his thrown out one that I tried and was amazed at putting a 25mm hole through a 9" brick wall in seconds - but 'yes' the bearings had gone. The chiseling and box cutting particularly interests me as I'm doing a whole house up. My £29.99 drill will be here tomorrow and we'll see how it goes! As far as bits go, screwfix were doing at kit for £20 which is a great starter kit of drills and chisels. I got the very same thing for £12 in a local shop. :D

my worst experiance with a drill was when I brought one for 100 was told it was clutched and found it wern't when i was hacking away with a 5" core drill

OUCH

PS was only 18 and very very thick :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back