Is Ready mix Concrete the way forward?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am building a block wall and need about 1m^3 of concrete. I know there is a number of ways to do this is buying ready mix concrete and hiring a pump the best way? How much would It likely cost?

cheers,

Ed

Sponsored Links
Hire a mixer?

Get some steaks for the barbie, a slab of beer, some shovels and a few mates?

Hi,

I am building a block wall and need about 1m^3 of concrete. I know there is a number of ways to do this is buying ready mix concrete and hiring a pump the best way? How much would It likely cost?

cheers,

Ed
One cube and a pump will work out costly - could be as much as £600..? Or it could be around £400 if you have reasonable prices and an understanding regular supplier.

Two tonne of gear and 13 bags of dust will likely set you back about £170 plus a days graft for two willing labourers...£250..?

Sponsored Links
The mix yourself idea is very attractive because of the lower cost. How much rouglhy would it be to buy readymix and barrow it?

Mixed a cube on Tuesday PM in a barrow took two n half hours.
Just don't mix to much at one go say 9litres ballast, litre & half cement with 0.5litre water.

good upper body wprkout!

Mixed a cube on Tuesday PM in a barrow took two n half hours.
Just don't mix to much at one go say 9litres ballast, litre & half cement with 0.5litre water.

good upper body wprkout!

That sounds promising and I like a good workout for free. My only concern is that parts of it will go off whilst I'm still filling but I guess that's not the end of the word.

The mix yourself idea is very attractive because of the lower cost. How much rouglhy would it be to buy readymix and barrow it?

You don't buy it and barrow it, I think the correct term is volumetric mixing, they come along with one of these, two wheelbarrows and mix and tip the exact amount into your trench, you just rake it level. Mine was barely any dearer than buying the materials, I think about £500 for 3 cube but that was two years ago.

Screenshot_20210618-102324.png

Hi,

cheers,

Ed
For future reference, for the cubed character:
upload_2021-6-18_14-12-15.png

and scroll down:
upload_2021-6-18_14-13-44.png

Last edited:
Thanks. I've been 1/2 wondering how people do that for ages!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back