Is speedfit safe ? Looks loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I bought a house with speedfit plumbing , mainly their pipe , few compression fittings used too.
Not sure how old it is
I noticed on all the fittings the threads we’re slightly loose.

They weren’t leaking, but are they just working loose from slight vibration of the water flow ?
And are they generally safe ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi yes they're generally safe, is it the compression ones loose or speedfit?

If I have to use pushfit, I prefer the newer Speedfit for ease of installation and adjustment (without the need of a removal tool).
The compression factor also adds a layer of protection and enables removal of inserts from the fitting, for when they come off the pipe during modifications.

However, I have come across many that have not been tightened up by the original fitters (I've always believed this to be because the original JG speedfit just pushed on and those using them failed to adjust their install procedure for the newer "compression" versions!).
I've also seen the compression "nut", on a fitting, become loose/unwind when manipulating a length of pipe attached to it, scary if that fitting is in a space, hidden from sight!
I've always thought that they should redesign the compression nut so that it clicks and "locks" in position when tightened up properly - should be fairly simple to achieve this design-wise.

Locking "collets" are available but they're, yet another, fiddly component to have to procure, stock and carry with you!

fitting-speedfit-collets-min.jpg

If I have to use pushfit, I prefer the newer Speedfit for ease of installation and adjustment (without the need of a removal tool).
The compression factor also adds a layer of protection and enables removal of inserts from the fitting, for when they come off the pipe during modifications.

However, I have come across many that have not been tightened up by the original fitters (I've always believed this to be because the original JG speedfit just pushed on and those using them failed to adjust their install procedure for the newer "compression" versions!).
I've also seen the compression "nut", on a fitting, become loose/unwind when manipulating a length of pipe attached to it, scary if that fitting is in a space, hidden from sight!
I've always thought that they should redesign the compression nut so that it clicks and "locks" in position when tightened up properly - should be fairly simple to achieve this design-wise.

Locking "collets" are available but they're, yet another, fiddly component to have to procure, stock and carry with you!

View attachment 178082
Hep pipe and fittings are far superior IMHO..

Sponsored Links
But you end up with a box full of fittings with the metal insert still stuck in them and trying to remove them damages the o ring! :p;)
Why...use removal tools...No worse than speedfit...Pipe much more flexible..Fittings less bulky...non of that tighten loosen caper

Thanks, I’ll get some of those locking collets to be sure they are safe.

Why...use removal tools...No worse than speedfit...Pipe much more flexible..Fittings less bulky...non of that tighten loosen caper

Removal tool still leaves the metal insert in some of the fittings... Anyway, I'm not saying one is superior to the other, just my preferred product, "if" I have to use them... I have to use them all as they are often specified without my input!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back